School - Take the bus or drive em there yourself?

Pros and cons to each.

Bus is way more convenient for me and it gives him some social interactions. Also feel like taking the bus takes away one of the last remaining duties I have as a SAHM. Since he was 3 I've been feeling less and less needed as he gets older.

But I do miss our car ride bonding times. However, driving to their new school is a hardship on me (and the car's not getting any younger) and dangerous and I feel very stressed out driving there and back.

Which do you do?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:17 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in

• My son rides a bus to school and always has. It's good social time for him & a life skill he will need.

Zoeyis, if your sons are in public school & have an IEP, they cannot be removed from the bus for their behaviors w/o the district addressing their needs. The district should be providing them w/an aide on the bus or a different bus, one that meets their needs. The distirct can't just kick them off the bus w/o first trying to find a way to make it work for them. It's illegal.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Put him on he bus! Kids love to ride the bus....he will need you plenty, don't worry. I put my 7 year old on the bus because I hve 2 younger children and it would be next to impossible to get all 3 of them ready and out the door in time every morning. I think I would let him ride the bus even if he was the only one, though. He likes it, it is better on the environment, and he gets to socialize...I say it is a win-win!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I drive my kids and that's just b/c I don't trust other kids and i know they can be mean.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 8:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Mine always took the bus. It's not about me and my feeling needed or anything else, it's about what's best for them.

They always got to ride with friends, talk to other kids in a relaxed setting (outside of classroom), learning to follow the rules in another situation (life is full of times to learn!).

It's also more time efficient, more environmentally sound, more economical.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 8:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I plan to drive them. At least while they're young, all the bad things I learned from kids I learned on the bus, lol. Seriously.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Lost our bus service to budget cuts last year, and no sign of it coming back any time soon. We drive and pick up, but even if we still had the bus option, I'd only use it if they'd changed the order of the route. It worked out that we were first on/last off, so the kids on our block spent a total of 90 minutes a day on the bus when school is only a mile away. I'd rather let him sleep another half hour and drive him if they still ran that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• With four kids in four different schools and hubby having to be at work by 7 AM, I really don't get an option. They all take a bus.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Riding the bus to school is a part of his routine. My son is living with autism, and routine is EVERYTHING! Not only does it provide him with social interaction, but the time spent on the bus is good for him to transition from "home mode" to "school mode".
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i let them take the bus even though i know it makes stress but if they are late due to weather etc it doesn't count against them
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• my child rides the bus she is in kindergarten
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2010