How do I get my son to understand "no". He's 15 months and laughs when I tell him no. Also he doesn't sleep... at all just about.

Lisa39

Asked by Lisa39 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When did you start teaching him the word "no"?

My daughter is 15 months old as well and since she can move around and touch things by herself (since she was 3-4 months old) i told her "no" when she did something she wasnt / isnt suppose to do. And she knows exactly what it means.

Make sure you dont smile at him when you say "NO". It takes a while for them to learn it. So it depends on when you started with it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• About the sleeping...

Is he bored a lot? Kids that are bored a lot during the day, wont be able to sleep at night, because they are just not tired enough.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I'm guessing that your son knows exactly what no means but maybe when it's being said to him it's not in a firm voice. My big mistake with my son was making a game out of it like smiling and using a soft voice when I said no because I though he was still too young for harsher tones. I don't know if that is part of the problem here, but I would definitely say it like I mean right from the start.
    Su-Z-Q

Answer by Su-Z-Q at 1:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• A lot of children cannot fully grasp the concept of the terms "yes" and "no" at such a young age. Instead, when he is doing something wrong, tell him "Doing (whatever he may be doing) is not a choice. Let's do (something appropriate)" in a calm but firm voice. Then direct him over to the more acceptable activity. As for the sleeping, it is, again, just his age. Try to come up with a good sleepy-time routine, if you haven't already, such as a bath and favorite bedtime story in a dim room. HTH!

ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 1:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree - how do you say no? Are you speaking in a firm and clear voice or is it still in the sweet, sing-songy voice we often fall into when talking with toddlers?

When correcting your toddler, say "no" firmly. Your voice should be 'deeper' than a usual playful tone and it should accompany a physical redirection. In other words, when kids as toddlers would reach for the dog's tail, I'd say "No" and take their hand physically away from the dog. Then I'd follow up "No. Do not touch Tasha's tail. No tail."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2008