More mother-inlaw problems. How would you handle this?

My mother-inlaw just got over being angry at me for not inviting her to a family reunion on my family's side, it was a reunion where my sisters and I just wanted it to be us because it was the first time we were together in over 20 years. Well now she is mad at me again because she wanted to come over to my house and clean out my 14 year old daughters closet, which is something I need to help her with, so I told her I had already started it, she then yelled that I don't want her to help with anything and walked out of my house. She is now telling people that we are now offically estranged. It's been about a week and I can't bring myself to call her because I am so sick of her coming into my house and causing stress. I told my husband that he can call her and go visit her, but he is also sick of her crap too. She is about 76 years old, so I don't know what to do about her anymore.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 8:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Eh my MIL did the same damn thing, we just ignored her and stoped going to her house she finally got the hint. Now the shes doing the same thing to my BIL girlfriend, who cant stand her, and has gone as far as keeping the new grandbaby from her ...
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• be truthfull it might hurt her but hope she understands in the long run good luck
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 8:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My mother inlaw is also bragging about giving one of my sister inlaw money because she was so nice to invite her to there party. She told my other sister inlaw that she will be giving her $1000 and buying her a new refridgerator and dish washer. This really bugs me because she feels that she can buy people. This sister inlaw is the one who rarely invites and does things with her, I think she is taking advantage of our fight, which is what my other sister inlaw is saying. I think this is her way of trying to hurt us, when really I feel bad for her because she is letting herself be used.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• sounds like she just wants to be included in your family ...maybe you can try to find time for her once every week or two and you invite her to do something..so she quits inviting herself to stuff. Then she will quit being so aggrivating
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• shay........it is very hard for me to invite her to do stuff when she keeps getting angry over every little thing. It's very stressful to be around her. My husband and I always did stuff with her, we just can't handle her ruining out time.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 8:36 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well at least she lives in her own house my inlaws live with us and if we disagree we just have to go around not talking to each other...I don't understand why she would even want to do things like cleaning your daughter's closet out that is definitely not her job.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It sounds like this lady just needs to be needed. She may feel she's left out of the loop with family and she's hurt, set up a time for just you and her and let her know she's important to you. The woman is 76 and probably loanly. I'm not taking her side, just trying to help you to see it from her point of view. You may not have many years left to deal with her as it is. Good luck hon.......

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• 5BabyBees,,,,,,,,,I agree with what you are saying, but is is just so hard to be around her, I use to call her all the time and invite her over for dinner once a week, but now I get stressed around her and dread her coming over to my house.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i just think you have to realize that she is nearly 80 yrs old..she is getting up there in age. Of course she is going to bring you stress..she probably can't do everything you want to do. Thats why i say take time "for her" make it all about her so she feels special..even if its just 2 hours. It will make her happy and you may even feel less stressed about it too
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• LifesADance,,,,I don't want her to give me money or buy me anything, it would make me feel like I owed her and I don't want that
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2010