Our neighbors asked if I could babysit their three kids. How much should I charge them?

The ages are 8,9,and 10. The two youngest are boys and are a little hyper and out of control. It would be from 3:30 to 9:30 most evenings. Probably about 3-5 days a week and would include supper and snacks. I have three kids of my own. Ages 6 months,2 yrs, and 3yrs. They are kinda in a tight situation for money. The mom has to start working a minimum wage job so they can make rent.

leekim2004

Asked by leekim2004 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Money & Work

• Its a lot of responsibility you will have.

It depends on which state you live in... In Alabama you cant charge as much as you could in MA.

I would go with $10 - $15/hour. Everything less I wouldnt do it. Because its 3 kids, supper/snacks and so much responsibility.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Find out what a day care would charge for that long. Or charge the minimum wage in your state per hour..Maybe a little extra for food.

Answer by louise2 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Its all up to what you think youll need. Its hard when its someone you know that isnt doing well financially. I would say about $50 a day. You have to consider the stress its gonna put on you and the extra money youd be spending on food each week.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Well, it's tough b/c you know them and you know they are having hard times...that would be a hard thing for me b/c you want to help them out, but on the other hand, adding 3 wild and crazy kids to the mix is going to stir everything up with you and your family. You have to take into consideration that you'll have to buy more groceries and drinks. Plus, think about having to help with homework, baths, teeth, and getting dressed for bed. That's alot of work, and you already have 3 kids. If you want to be nice, I'd say $30 a day. If you want to get what you deserve I'd say at least $45-55 a day. Daycare is expensive and they'd pay a whole lot more if they had to go find a 24-hr childcare center to drop them off at...
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I would charge 30 a day
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You don't say if YOU need the money. Honestly, I think you're taking on too much. The age differences + "out of control" are my clues in this. If you decide to do it, please set a trial period so you can opt out if it's too much. My minimum would be $50 a day -- that may be out of her price range, but you're in for a rough ride (and that's not including feeding them).
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Very nice you want to help your neighbor. Perhaps instead of telling her how much you would charge her, ask her what would be a fair amount and what could she pay. You do want to tell her that you are willing to help her but could only do it temporarly and put a deadline ( a week, a month, what ever you think you could handle), cause with all those kids, you will be burnt out pretty soon.

Good luck,
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008