How can I get my 6yr old to eat breakfast?

I am having trouble getting my 6 yr old daughter to eat breakfast before school she doesn't like to get up and eat early and we tried to get her in the habit before school started but it hasn't worked I offer her pretty much anything that I will let her have and she still doesn't want to eat . Any one have any advice about this?

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 8:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is really NO need for anyone to get nasty regarding this question. After all, we have all gone through the not eating stages. It Anyway, I would try bringing her to the grocery store and let her pick some things she would like to eat for breakfast. maybe a new cereal or waffles, milk shakes like Ovaltine or maybe a frozen breakfast sandwich. Sometimes if you include them in the selection, they get excited to eat it. Good luck and it will pass soon. Just give her a big dinner & snacks and don't forget the daily vitamin. :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My sons don't have a choice either. They need to eat breakfast. As far as "throwing a fit" goes, if throwing a fit gets her out of something she doesn't want to do, of course she'll throw a fit. Fits are punished in my house - and definitely don't get them out of something they were told to do. She's learned that if she throws a fit, you will give up. It's that simple. And it's hard to un-teach that.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 8:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My girls are allowed to choose between 2 things I select. Those are the choices. Either you may have THIS or you may have THAT. There are no other choices. Since I started handling it this way - once they got accustomed to the rule - breakfast has been pretty problem-free!
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 8:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Hungry or not, students who eat breakfast learn more during the school day, can concentrate better, feel better, have more energy, and have fewer problems with obesity.
    I'm the parent in my home, and my children always ate a small breakfast before school (and still do now that they're teens). Not eating wasn't an option. It's not about them doing what they want, it's about doing what's best for them.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 8:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• my son will be 6 soon..he isnt a big breakfast person either...but i do make him eat a little something each morning. A few grapes or strawberries..banana, maybe some toast, or a breakfast bar.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• if you cannont get her to eat breakfast , try geting her to drink her breakfast. smoothie or at least juice or milk. my kids don't like to eat breakfast just after waking up either. we generally can get them to eat dry cereal ( in a bag for on the go) and some v8 splash juice so they get some fruit and veg.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i would find a good breakfast bar...or just do a vitimin and drink that has alot of nutrition in them....i have a 3 year old and he's not a B/fast eater...so we do vitimins and fruity v8 juice, the ones without the sugar...they taste jus as great...GL :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 9:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I gave up trying. If they aren't hungry they aren't hungry.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:36 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Try giving her something portable, like fresh fruit, toast or pancakes made really small that can be "dipped" rather than covered in syrup. Also french toast sticks, or a sausage link wrapped in a pancake like a burrito! All of these are things that kids tend to love, and won't give you much fuss about eating!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Some kids just are not a breakfast person from a young age. Try packing a granola bar or apple etc for her to eat when she does get hungry...does she eat lunch?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010