How do I stop my son from eating Desitin?

My son is 14 months old and he has been trying to eat Desitin for a couple of weeks now. But it's not just that, anything with a pop open lid he opens and tries to eat. ie: lotion, his toothpaste, desitin, etc. How do I get him to stop doing this? I put it all up where he can't get to it, but somehow he always seems to find some, somewhere! I don't know if it's harmful for him, but he likes it for some odd reason! Help!!

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 12:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just get an empty pop up lid container of some sort and completely wash the inside. Then I would put something bitter tasting inside like lemon juice. Put it in his sight and let him see what it tastes like. Maybe he will think that all of them taste like that and it would help keep him from wanting anymore... Just a thought.. Good luck. My son found my deoderant once. The poison control said it wouldnt hurt him but his breath wouldnt smell bad for awhile.. lol it happens. These moms that have "perfect kids" that never get into anything are just rediculous. Need a good dose of reality.
    BrensMomma

Answer by BrensMomma at 7:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• LOL, my ds is 14 months as well. He is the same exact way. Loves anything with a pop open lid! I put everything like that in my bathroom cabinet. My bathroom door stays closed, and my bedroom stays closed as well. Good Luck!

Jahnae

Jahnae
    momofana82

Answer by momofana82 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• It's called child safety locks and they make them just for this reason.
    Su-Z-Q

Answer by Su-Z-Q at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Put it all up where he can't reach,,, or lock it up,,,simple as that

Answer by louise2 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You have to baby proof! Babies up to about 2 years old put EVERYTHING in their mouthes. Kids don't know by looking what tastes good and what doesn't.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Try putting it in a drawer or up even higher. My daughter loves that stuff too. That and dog food. Silly kids.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I had the same problem. I bought a tool box with a lock, gathered all the medication in the house and converted it into a medicine box. I keep it locked at all times and I know where everything is.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 2:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

u go girl!!!!
    rojareb84

Answer by rojareb84 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• mine likes lotion bottles and he likes to get into the personal lube or lotion and squirt it all over himself and anywhere he can reach... he also likes spray bottles.. i have had to take him to the emergancy room once already cause we thought he sprayed chemicals in his mouth..... just gotta take it away and say no no yucky .... and put it up...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 2:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Answered at 2:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 by: rcbrown
    I had the same problem. I bought a tool box with a lock, gathered all the medication in the house and converted it into a medicine box. I keep it locked at all times and I know where everything is.

^ THIS IS A GREAT IDEA, I AM SOOOO DOING IT!!!!!
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2008