Breastfeeding question

My milk supply is getting low (my baby is 8 weeks) and I want to produce more than what he needs. If I start pumping after he gets done eating will it help me produce more even though I haven't been doing that? If so, how long will it take?

IlovemyNicholas

Asked by IlovemyNicholas at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure there will be others with better info, but yes, if you pump after he's done and maybe even in between, and eat the right things, of course, your body will eventually produce more. GOod Luck!

Jahnae
    momofana82

Answer by momofana82 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes it will help boost your supply. It is hard to say how long it will take exactly. It depends on how much extra time you pump and how often. If you pump after every feeding you should see an increase in 2-3 days.
    AmandaH7

Answer by AmandaH7 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• everytime I talk to my mom about it she says that I am not drinking enough. Could that contribute to a low supply?
    IlovemyNicholas

Answer by IlovemyNicholas at 1:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• First you need to take care of you...Make sure your eating, drinking plenty of water/juices and resting as much as you can. Pumping does boost your supply. I also suggest you call your local hospitals lactation deptment to find and join a BFing support group or LaLeche League international to find a group near you. It is also common to feel like your supply is low- even though it isn't- its a normal fear BFing mommies have. Hang in there & try to get yourself some support.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Not drinking enough water and not eating enough were two big reasons, I think, I was unable to nurse. So make sure you drink a big glass of water before eat feeding and maybe even have a snack before or while nursing. I tried pumping in between and it did'nt work. I would suggest maybe some herbal supplements.
    rojareb84

Answer by rojareb84 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• ur body works on supply and demand. the more he stimulates ur breast the more ur body will make which is why doctors suggest feeding every 3 hrs to get ur milk supply in. i have to pump when my daughter isnt eating bc she wont eat for like 5 hrs. i gen. try to pump every 3 or 4 hrs and if i know she didnt empty my breasts ill pump and freeze it for just in case.
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes and adding pumping between will increase your supply also there are teas and herbal remidies you can take that work really good. but your baby is the best pump. Alot of lc's told me to 'power pump' which is pumping every hour for ten mins or 'power nurse' meaning as much as the baby will latch on let him and keep him close to you. I tried it and it did help. My son and I stayed in the house and cuddled for a few hours (we were supposed to do it all day but we are not really cuddly people, my son is very independant). Take care of yourself, eat well, 60-80 oz of water a day and rest.
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 2:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• stay hydrated, and pump DURING feedings. Also, I heard oatmeal boosts supply, but I never tried it.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 2:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Why do you think your supply is low? If you can share this, maybe we can figure out what's going on.. How's his wet diaper count? If he's having about 6-8 wet diapers, you're probably fine.

MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes, I did the exact same thing. It has to be at least 15 min for it to work, and you must be persisteant.

I did it every other time I nursed, and at first I got nothing but after a few days my body got the hint that it needed to make more.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 3:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008