anyone ever have scabies?? adult content

Hhow do you get that?
I am a stay at home mom, if I get to leave the house, it is to the grocery store!
My father was in a nursing home for many months before he passed away, I heard that it is common there and as I look back, he did have some scab like sores.
No one else in family seems to have it, I went to doctor yesterday, with no scratch test, doctor said that is what all the itchy bumps are. At least I know, but still, it is gross!

How common is this? Doctor said she sees at least one case a week

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Health

• I had my childs pedi wrongly diagnose her psorias as scabies. He told me it is spread very easily. Skin to skin, clothing, all kinds of things for the mites to live on and they can live for 14 days without a host. Nasty stuff. We treated her for scabies before finding a specialist who realized it was psoriasis instead.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• This skin infection is caused by the itch mite. The condition causes an itching which becomes intense at night. the lesions are characteristically threadlike red nodules, approx. 3/8 of an inch long. They occcur between fingers, at the inner wrist area, the elbows, in the arm pit, about the waist, on genitalia of males and nipples of females. It is spread by skin contact or sexual activity. The itch mite has burrowed into the skin to lay eggs. The larvae emerge to mate and then reburrow under the skin. it is associated with overcrowding and poor hygiene. Treatment consistsof bathing with soap and water followed by an application of pediculicide such as Kwell. It must remain on the skin for 24 hours and be repeated in one week to destroy the developing mites. An antipruritic or steroidmay be applied topically to reduce the itching. So there you go. You probably touched an infected person without knowing it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I never had it and hope I never do. the info. above is out of my medical assisting book. At least it is curable, but you might avoid sex until it clears up. Also take precautions around little ones or have them treated as well.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh that sux trey. Poor baby.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• doctor did no scratch test, did give me rx for the cream, I did it last night, still on me 12 hours now
    I do not have on hands, wrist nipples or fingers
    Internet say not likely on back or head, and that is where most "bites" are
    also the bites are not threadlike

my father was in nursing home for months before he dies and as I remember he did have skin sores

how easy is it to pass it on to another person, no one else in family has any signs of it, but I read it can take a few weeks. If I got this from the nursing home, that was months ago?!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's not from poor hygine neccecarily. That is such a sterotype. My little sister got it from school and gave it to all of us one time. We had to bathe in a special "dip" like a dog.lol In Florida , where she lives,they thrive off the humidity. Scabies are very small mites. They can travel through the air and it only takes one to cause infestation. They burrow under the skin leaving little trails. Yes they are very contagious. But it can be beat. And there is nothing to be embarrassed about.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i do not have TRAILS?
    the red itchy things are more like bites
    round, not line thread like
    could this doctor have made a mistake?
    also common on hands, wrists, feet-none there!?
    did have on torso, arm pit area, back of neck and head and around waist band

I did the cream, I will assume that the doctor can make determination from just looking
    Hope my husband and children do not have, I have told husband that he HAS to use the cream too, last night he did not! idiot, it does say it can take weeks to show, and we have very close contact, so he HAS to do the cream too
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Maybe you got chigger bites(red bugs).
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• not so many all in one area
    and these are under the skin
    chiggers do not go under the skin

but what I question is that I have NONE on hands, wrists=the most common place for them???

i do feel less itchy after 12 hours of cream on, but that cream is kind of strong, maybe it can kill other things too??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2010