Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about fireplace and wood...

We have a fireplace and I like to burn wood, but the house smells like wood. Is there anyway to stop this? I put a bowl of water and cinnamon in front of the fireplace last night (I don't know why I thought that would help). Also does anyone know how much the fan is suppose to blow out the warm air. Our house will be two years old and this is the first year that we really want to use the fireplace daily. I have said all along that I think that they hooked up the fan wrong because to get heat we have to open the glass doors and not use the fan. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Answer Question
 
jenniferlee_12

Asked by jenniferlee_12 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Home & Garden

Level 5 (70 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • They do make a fan that fit's into your chimney that works really good on pushing the heat around. If the fireplace is making your house stink, it probably has to do with the wood. The wood has to be cured which basically means dry enough, and different woods burn differently. In Alaska, we burn Spruce and Birch, Spruce burns hotter and doesn't last as long and Birch burns good and lasts longer. If we burn Popular (spelling) it's not hot so doesn't heat your house, and smokes and smolders, lasts forever and makes your house stink! Do you have a wood guy or a fire place store that could advice you on what to burn in your area?

    Lornamay

    Answer by Lornamay at 1:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • We had someone do some logging last year and he said that it would work in the fireplace. My husband says that it is dry enough. I never dealt with wood before so I don't really know too much about it. I wish that my cinnamon water would have worked because I love the smell of cinnamon.
    jenniferlee_12

    Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • Since your home is new, it is quite possible that something was installed wrong. Go to a fireplace store and ask how this system is supposed to work. Then consider hiring a fireplace inspector to see if everything is hooked up right.
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • We have the same prob, infact we don't use our fireplace anymore because it doesn't heat the entire house, but if you have the money or look on craigslist.org you can find a nice fireplace insert that will help with the heating and keep the heat in and you can leave your doors closed!! This may cut back on the smell as well!!
    determind

    Answer by determind at 2:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.