Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i think my son is having growing pains...

WHat should i do?

Answer Question

Asked by Brittyt4you_ at 9:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 9 (307 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • For such a young child, I would take him to the doctor to make sure that's the problem, then if you are sure it really is growing pains, you can massage the sore muscles, stretch the muscles, use a heating pad on low (and under direct supervision), or give a pain reliever if it is really bad.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • I had a friend who thought that with her daughter for a bit and then it turned out she actually had something wrong with her knees. It was nothing serious but she had to go to the doctor's and wear a brace on her leg for a bit. I would at the very least call your the doctor's office and see what they say. They usually have a nurse you can talk to. You could call and let her know what is going on and see if she thinks you should bring him in. Good luck to you.

    Answer by Peajewel at 9:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • I don't believe there is such a thing as "growing pains". My nephew had the same and turns out he was lactose intolerant! When he didn't have dairy the pains went away! I would say to keep checking it out.

    Answer by Luddy at 9:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • They thought my son had growing pains and i finally got a doctor to refer us to a specailist and it turned out he has a Neurological disorder that is curable if caught early enough. Lucky for us, his case was caught early enough but it will take years to undo the damage and lots of therapy. If the first doctor I went to about it (his pediatrician) had taken me seriously and sent him to a specailist right away, I would have only taken weeks. My son has a very rare form of Strep that attacks the nervous system and causes tremors, muscle pain and occasionally ticks in some children. If let go, the infection could have affected his heart and kidneys as well.

    Answer by lizinohio at 9:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • My kids get random pains from time to time, but if it lasts more than a couple of days, especially in the same area....see a doctor!

    Answer by momof3josephs at 10:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • I agree with all the other mommies, if it persists, take him to the Dr

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • has your child had a growth spurt to match the pains? my 3 year old grew nearly 6 inches in a few months... she had some pains, and once the growing slowed the pains stopped.
    i talked to her ped... so maybe you could try that too... especially if there isn't measureable growth to go with the pains.

    Answer by asil at 12:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.