How much

How much do you live on so you can be a stay at home mom, even if your kids are in school? Do you worry about not working? Do u worry about not paying into social security. Thanks

If you make it on very little,under 2,000. a month. How do u figure out a budget. Etc any info would be helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I am a SAHM of 3 children, and my husband makes about 45k a year as a manager. However, it was not always like that, he had to work his way up to that. We have lived on much less than 2k a month...it is totally possible. Try not to eat out too much, buy ony things that you NEED. Some people have an issue with this, they think they NEED everything. lol. I haven't worked since we have had children, and we have never ben broke, even when he only made about 1k a month. Just cut back on everything, what can you give up so you can stay home? Could you pay less in rent in a smaller place? Cable? Internet? Buy in bulk and cook alot, make sure you eat leftovers.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:11 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh, and I still have 2 kids at home...when they are in school I will go to school, too. I don't worry about Social Security too much, I plan on working when my kids are grown, I will still only be in my mid-forties.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:13 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well i work Part-time... and that helps me to stay in-tune with the work force and in touch with my 3yr old...i tried the sahm thing and didnt really care for it,,it was like i was losing myself to the family...so working makes me feel part of something other than mommy & Wife2b...and it helps out with the extra income....My mom was a sahm and she loved it...and now she doesnt have her own SSI...but she's receiving along with my dads..they have been married for 37yrs
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 10:14 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm ashamed to admit that we don't really have a budget.... Thankfully my Hubby brings in about 10,000/month, sometimes more. That may seem like a lot, but we pay our own health ins, have a 1700+ truck payment/month, a mortgage, ins, car ins, etc... He's also gone a month at a time so I need to be here 24/7, and not work, otherwise our boys wouldn't have anyone to be there for them. We decided that was what's best for our boys.
    I try to only get what we need, with truck repairs, car repairs, house maintenance, utilities, groceries, we have seperate accounts for things at home, and my Hubby. That way I have money to pay bills, and he has access to money in case somehting happens on the road.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Make a budget and see where your money is going-- then once you know where you are spending look at the budget and look at the 'extras' (cable/satellite, internet, cell phones, eating out...) to see what you can cut back on or cut out. Like tv for example- if you pay $100/mo can you reduce to a cheaper pkg or can you cancel and do away with it completely? Also buy in bulk on items that you use frequently, cook meals that can stretch (like chili for example) and freeze/eat left overs for another meal. Also when grocery shopping coupons can save money (I usually save $40-$60 a month by using coupons), buy store brands, and take advantage of sales or stock up sales- on items you use. If you have a dollar store- you can get cleaning products, laundry products and personal products cheaper than at a grocery or department (walmart, kmart) store.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2010