Kindergarten - missing mom and no friends

my daughter is not enjoying kindergarten, she misses us and cries for us. She claims she has no friends in her class. All her friends are in another teachers class. She attended ALL day preschool for 2.5 years prior to kidnergarten, so I'm not sure why she is having difficulties with the transition.

Rachaelsmom358

Asked by Rachaelsmom358 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's only been a few days. Maybe she needs some more time. Make sure she isn't being bullied or anything, but other than that it's still new, and may be different for her regular social skills. Give her a little more time before you worry too much! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It is a difficult transition. More is expected now. There are new rules to follow. The school is bigger, the classrooms are larger, there are more kids to get to know. She'll adjust, just hug her and listen to her and let her know you understand - but don't make it a big deal. If you handle it like it's some huge thing, she'll have a harder time. Whatever you do, she'll take her cues from you. So stay positive!
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:07 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Not sure why she is having trouble but I would encourage her to try and make a new friend everday. When dd first started k-5 she had been home with me pretty much since she could remember. I told her to make new friends and not get discouraged if someone didn't want to be her friend, someone else would. Just give it time. Do not let her see you getting worked up and upset over this or it may take longer for her to adjust.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My child did that in pre k but that was her first time away from me. She would come home everyday saying this person isn't her friend "Emily said she isn't my friend anymore" then the next day "she is my best friend" She will make friends just give it time. Ask her teacher if your able to volunteer in her class like once a week.
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Trying to figure out what the response above me was voted down ... regardless, yes, it's normal - just as Shannon706 said, this isn't unusual.

She will make friends, just give it time. And, as Casey said, she'll take her cues from you. Don't make this into a big deal. She just needs a little time to transition and some support while she does.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• How old is she? Is she on the younger side? Maybe hold her back a year. I think it is best not to push kids, especially that kindergarten is becoming the new first grade.
    I held my daughter back a year - she was slow to read, now she is in middle school and doing very very well, socially and academically.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Call her teacher. They can give you some insight and help her with friend making in her new class. Seriously, they deal with this all the time!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I could have wrote this questions myself. My son is having a really hard time with Kindergarten. He hasnt been to preschool or anything. He said home with me. This is his third week and he still is crying.

Ive been told he will adjust. So Im sure she will make some friends soon. It is a big adjustment for them.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 12:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Encourage her to make new friends in her new class.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2010