Driving a taxi, is that good money? Can that be a full time job making enough money to pay bills or is that a side job? I have always wondered about that job!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Money & Work

• I honestly don't know if they make a good living or not. I know that with a lot of the cab companies make you lease your car and you have to pay for your own insurance.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I don't think you are going to find many mom taxi drivers, maybe none. Have no idea what they make, but I honestly couldn't see myself driving in a car all day long with strangers. I could talk to them about my business while driving them though. LOL.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

•  In my city of Houston, TX, Yellow Cab and most other companies have Independent Contractors, so they're  "self-employed" but they still have to pay for renting, borrowing and/or leasing Yellow Cabs services and vehicles and you make that up in the fares received by your passengers/customers, but other than that, you keep the rest of the fare money .  They have orientation classes to train taxi drivers on map-reading, routing, how to read a meter, customer service, and definitely safety and rules of the roads.But just like any other job or business, you want to speak with a recruiter,HR or personnel about the company, job position and if it's something you really want to do. Independent Contractors are self-employed, so they have to provide for their own benefits (health, 401K,stocks,etc) and they can set their own hours.

mamadee1971

Answer by mamadee1971 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 25, 2008