Is it normal not to resume you period for a while after you stop breastfeeding?

I have been trying to get pregnant since January. My son is 13 months old and I stopped breastfeeding a month ago. Before that it was only once or twice a day for at least a month. We wanted our kids closer together than this, and I most definitely not pregnant. Is it normal for that to happen?

JMommabear

Asked by JMommabear at 1:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Yes, it's normal. Pregnancy will happen when your body is ready for it to happen. My own doc recommends two years between delivery of the first baby and conception of the second, as mom's body needs time for recovery.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Thanks for the thoughts. :)
    JMommabear

Answer by JMommabear at 4:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes, it's normal. I stopped BFing my DD in December and had one period in Feb. and then got pregnant in May, on cycle day 101 or something crazy like that.

I think you are going to have to wait a few months and see if your cycles regulate though, before seeking help from a doc. He or she will probably just say it's because you stopped BFing and to wait it out a little...
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2008