how do I help my second-grader make friends?

School just started, and my little guy was bummed out when he got home that no one played with him at recess. He's very shy, and can be very sensitive. How can I help him to be more comfortable socially and focus on the friends he does play with instead of worrying that not everyone likes him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give him suggestions on how to be a part of the games, role play how to ask someone to play a game with you, encourage him to talk to the other kids ... and then step back and let him make his choices and learn how to interact on his own.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• That's a hard one... Our youngest is in the 1st grade, he's shy, but no problems making friends...
    Maybe ask him who he does play with, call and invite him to spend the night on a Friday... Then maybe that would make him feel a bit more confident at school, knowing he was able to have a friend over, and they have something to talk about at school... Just a thought, GL.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• There has to be at least one kid he sits with in class or at lunch that you could invite over for a play date or an overniter. Can he take a cool toy to play w/ at recess? What about packing an extra snack in his lunch to share w/ a friend? Believe it or not, Silly Bands are popular with boys & girls of all ages, and really get kids talking- and sharing. I'm sure w/ a little time, things will work out. Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Let him learn. We cannot learn for our children, there are things they must experience and figure out on their own.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 10:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Tell him that if he wants to play with someone, he needs to go ask someone to play. Aside from that, it's up to him.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2010