Is it safe to use a laptop computer when pregnant?

Just curious if using my laptop is hazardous during pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• um... is that a serious question?!

do you know how many pregnant women work and need the laptop/computer for it?!

of course you can use it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think it is a perfectly legit question. Many women have this fear because it has been said computers give off the same radiation that a cell phone does.

Anyways to answer your question I do think it is safe. I just had my son 4 months ago and he is perfectly normal. No complications with anything.
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 1:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think as long as you don't let your belly get too hot from the heat it will be ok!
    Blessedmommy215

Answer by Blessedmommy215 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i agree with pp i played on my laptop all the time cause i had to have my feet up i put a pillow on my belly and played all i could go for it hun!!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 2:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Laptops are no longer referred to as "laptops" but "notebooks" for 2 reasons. 1-they get "hotter" and they can indeed burn you. 2-the main reason for the new term is because keeping them on your lap or on material, rather than a hard surface reduces the amount of air being circulated in and around the notebook, thereby making them even hotter than they usually run. So, you are also risking your computer and all your data because it could potentially burn up, or ruin components inside the notebook. So, you should just get into the practice of having your computer on a hard surface which will potentially save you, your baby and your notebook (a 3 for 1 deal). (by the way, I had pre-eclampsia and understand having to work from home and be on the computer in odd positions, but I always tried to keep the pc on a hard surface)
    ruthm

Answer by ruthm at 11:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2008