this is crazy to me!!!

Open house was last night at my dd's new school..she is in the 3rd grade and the teachers told us that the kids are expected to be at school between 8:15 and 8:45 to write their hw down and get their hw papers together to take home and this is the only time they are given to do this... that would be fine except for the fact that school starts at 8:45 and my daughter eats breakfast at school so I already drop her off early but she does not get to her classroom from breakfast until right around 8:45.... am i the only one that thinks this is crazy?!

springsmom0322

Asked by springsmom0322 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Can she eat at home? Then when she gets to school she can take care of her hw obligations....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The school day is jammed pack with stuff- but I am a bit surprised that they dont allow say 5-10 minutes at the end of the day to write down stuff in their assignment books & get things ready to go home. Technically, they cannot require your child to be in school and begin working prior to the start of the school day. I sub in alot of diff schools in the area, and most teachers do that at the end of the day. You may want to politely suggest it to the teacher.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Sounds like you'll need to drop her off 5 or 10 minutes earlier, or she'll need to eat a little more quickly if she wants to succeed in school this year.
    Learning to adjust to rules and changes, even when we disagree with them, is a part of life. It really can be a positive learning experience for children if their adults take a positive approach to challenges.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:30 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• . If they are still allowed to eat breakfast at 8:45.. then they should be able to.. Maybe you should talk to the principal and see if there is anything he/she can do. Unless she is the only one having a problem with getting it written down.. Maybe just take her to school a little earlier to eat and then she will be able to make it to the classroom to write down her homework.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i told her that she will have to start eating at home... i just don't understand how they can require the kids to do something before their school day even starts...
    springsmom0322

Comment by springsmom0322 (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's actually normal.. in higher grades they are required to be responsible for things like that during the times available.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:36 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• They can't hand out homework information before class is over? Why does it have to be written down before school even starts?
    I have never heard of this happening ever.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:40 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• no no I would have issues with this. This should be done in class time!! I'd be compalining. Its bad enough the amt of homwork they get then they require stuff bedore class even starts! I'd complain...I mean really 3rd grade!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• For all you know, every other parent in that school is having the same problems with it that you are, so I would ask around. Unless this is a written policy, it cannot be enforced and no child should not be penalized for not following it, especially if it is creating a hardship for the child or family (less time to sleep, rushed mornings, less time to eat, etc.). If I were you, I would ask to see the written policy and, if it doesn't exist, tell them too bad. Then I would make it known to every parent in that school, too, because many people just assume that something really is policy when it is presented to them that way, even when something isn't.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• * and no child should be penalized for not following it...sorry about the typo!

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2010