Worried about my son

I don't know what I should do about this problem I have with my son. He will be four on Oct 29th and he just seems so behind on his learning skills. He barely learned how to sing the abc's a few months ago. He doesn't know his colors, shapes, numbers, or recognize the abc's if you show them to him. I try to sit down with and do preschool with him but after five minutes he gets mad and frustrated and starts complaining. Do you think it's to late to get him into a preschool in the area? Does anyone else have a child that's not perfect at 4 years old? My older son who is 6 new everything by 3 and was writing by four. He loved sitting down and doing school work out of the preschool books. But my youngest son only wants to watch tv and play. I can thank my husband the couch potato for doing the same for my son. Any advice would be great.

Deb79

Asked by Deb79 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think that you need to take a deep breath and remember that every child is diffrent and many children dont get preschool before they start school and they do just fine.....boys tend to learn slower then girls in the younger years and i even had one that was just like your child and the other one was reading at 4......as long as the big things are happining..hopping jumping basic pronuciation and that kind of stuff i think that he will be fine...some children just need a little compitition and school will give them that.....
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 1:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• First of all, even though its hard, you cant compare your two sons. Every child is different. I would just run it by your doctor and see what they suggest. It may be a good idea to put him in a daycare a few days a week if its too late for pre-school. Figuring this out now will really help in the future if there actually is an issue. He'll be ok! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree take a deep breath and try to relax. As the person above said every child is different. I would however be concerned if he doesn't know any shapes or colors. I would see about a preschool program for him to get into. I would also limit tv during the day. Get out with him and go for walk... while you are on the walk ask him questions about the color of the leaves or the shape of a rock things like that. I wish luck and just be patient everything will come to him when it comes to him
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 1:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• the walk idea above me is great! try flashcards too.. my daughter loves the ones I made for her.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Kids are all different. Each person has their own strengths. I would limit tv and just make it fun for him. Find everyday things that are shapes and colors and point them out or ask him what color/ shape things are. Cut his sandwich into a triangle, give him cereal for a snack that is a circle and has different colors. Get M&M's and sort the colors. Make learning fun and a game instead of "school". My second didn't want to sit and "do school", but my oldest LOVED it. You just have to figure out what makes learning fun for your son.
    cbx3mom

Answer by cbx3mom at 8:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Agreed. Kids are different and they have different learning styles. What worked for your older child does not seem to be working for your younger child which means that you may have to get creative in your teaching. Most likely, if you "played" with him while learning about whatever he would have fun. All kids have relatively short attention spans so you will have to switch activities as soon as boredom sets in...television creates even shorter attention spans in children so you may want to start limiting his viewing. New studies have shown that even when kids are just playing while the tv is on as background noise have shorter attention spans and a more difficult time focusing. Even though he isn't telling you what the color or shape is doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know it. When my dd has something better to do she doesn't have time to answer questions correctly.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Try to make learning a game since he seems to like playing. A friend of mine taught her daughter the abc by simply throwing flash cards on the ground (while sitting on the couch) and asking her to bring her the O for Octopus or the A for Aligator. It was a game and she was learning.
    You can fined lots of Web sites that have different ABC, colors, shapes etc games too. Here are a few but google it too.
    www.dltk-kids.com
    www.enchantedlearning.com
    www.kidssoup.com
    Hope this helps, just remember to be inventive a make it game.
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 11:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2008