Still lactating??!! adult content

My son turned a year old in July and I was completely done breastfeeding by the time he was 7 months old. Since he was born I had a very abundant supply. So, now that it's been about 7 months since he's been breastfeeding, I'm still "producing". It's not like I feel as though I need to go pump. But, not to be too graphic, when I'm in the shower I occasionally check to see if anything will come out and there is still some that comes out! It's not yellow like colustrum, it's white as can be. It's not that much of a problem, I'm just curious to know when I'm going to completely dry up?!

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Health

• I did that forever!!! I wondered if it would ever stop! But it finally did...cant tell you times...but I know that it was at least 6 months or better that I still lactated.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• With both mine I lactated for 2 yrs but then I got pregnant again. so i have no clue how long mine would have gone.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• ha ha ha..i would like to no too..i havent breastfed my dd (22 months) for over a year, i was stopped leaking milk for 2 months then all of a sudden it started again! I don't think there is a specific time for it to dry up..it just depends from person to person! Good luck!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 11:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• takes a very very long time
    not leaking, not yes, in shower and see it anything come out-yes
    forever,
    i called about, and lac nurse said long time, no worries
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• DD weaned at 11 months and at 3.5 yrs, I still have milk
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i think if you keep checking like that then they will keep producing...my MW said you can have residual milk for a year or two...also, if you are in a relationship and your partner gives your breasts "attention"...lol then it will stimulate them....also, i am not BFing anymore but my daughter and i do a lot of skin to skin...i am naked or at least topless a lot of the time and that will keep the milk flowing too...i have VERY LITTLE milk left but a lot of times when i am topless and giving her a bottle, my milk will just suddenly let down...she is only 7 and a half weeks old tho so it hasnt been long but it crazy how easy it is to stimulate your breasts after you have a baby
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yup took me a couple years to finally dry up I would get pains and ahve to squeeze some out and I owuld feel better!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• you might need to have an MRI done to check for a pituary tumor. I lactated for 17 months before they gave me meds to stop it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Crazy stuff...I bf'd my oldest for 3 months and I don't know how long it took to totally dry up, but it wasn't long. I bf'd my dd for about 2 months and same thing. I never bf'd my youngest. He was in NICU so never had the chance. I did pump for a while, but never had much production. So you would think it wouldn't be an issue. He just turned 2 and I still have a little bit. Nothing to be concerned about - no "let down" or anything like that. Just a little here and there. Considering I never had much to begin with, it is so weird that I would STILL have anything left!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2010