Do you have talkers at home?

that just start talking while your doing something and then get mad later cuz you don't recall that they told you something?

that includes DHs, too. It makes me mad that I'm just supposed to drop whatever I'm doing, rip myself out of my thought process and hinge on what someone else is saying at a moment's notice. They could ask if its ok to interupt first before just charging in and talking a guns blazing like I'm not doing anything else but waiting for them.

Without getting in a fight, I dunno how to address it.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 11:21 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• The worst part is when they want MY undivided attention it has to be RIGHT NOW - it doesn't matter if I am on the phone, trying to listen to something on the news, or in the middle of balancing the checkbook. But if I need something boy does THAT change things! I don't even get a respectful "just a minute" or anything. I get a growl and a glare OR am totally ignored.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You could just say "hang on darlin, my mind is tied up right now. I'll be able to give you my full ear in just a minute"
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• you can say, excuse me but i'm in the middle of something, can we talk about that in about ten minutes. excuse me, i'm talking - please let me finish. i'll be happy to address that when i've finished with what i'm doing... etc. if you make a point of not going on the attack or giving commands it's much less likely to start an argument (unless the person is purposely being disrespectful). when you are not pissed off at being disrespected and being taken for granted sit down with the person and explain that you need them to hear you and explain the things you did above. but in order to be effective you need to be consistent at holding your boundaries.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i think i am the talker...LOL! I feel like i am always trying to talk to him when he is occupied. Luckily, he is very patient with me, he stops what he is doing & always listens to what i have to say. Love him to pieces!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:23 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Ugh- my DD10 does that. I'll be involved in something and she just starts talking at me then gets mad when I'm not following what she says. I keep telling her she needs to wait until she knows she has my attention, but she still does it sometimes. It's frustrating.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Honestly, at my house, this isn't an issue. I half listen alot if I am busy with something else, lol. If they say something about it later, and I don't remember, I just tell them, "Hey! You knew I was busy, and kept talking anyways! If you want my undivided attention you need to tell me! That way, I can really listen. It may not be right that second, but I will always be glad to listen. If you don't want to tell me when you need to talk, then don't expect me to listen when I am busy!"
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• With an ADD hubby and 2 ADHD kids, yeah, you could say that. And sometimes I get all hyper and talkative, usually when hubby is ready to fall asleep. The kids favorite time to talk is when someone else is talking though, or when I'm busy. It sucks when everyone thinks they need to talk at the same time. Then someone ends up crying, and the dog starts howling.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010