Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome

Does anybody know who TTTS affects the health of the babies?

My sister's twins (born at 5 months) have it and although the doctors have explained everything to her, she would like to know more from people who have experienced this with their children.

Are the babies going to have any disabilities? Are they going to requere special care? Treatment for life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• TTT is soooo intriguing to me.I have researched it out of pure awe and facination. The babies will probably be behind because of prematurity not from TTT. They say to go by develomentally the expected due date, not the actuall bday becasue they are behind. So if babis aren't crawling at eight months, it's because they are actually around 5 mos delvelopment. Only time can tell.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i agree with music mom.
    were the babies induced?
    often, the dr's will induce if they suspect ttts.
    these babies are very premature, and that is most likely their biggest hurdle right now. was one much larger than the other? at 5 months, they are both so small anyhow. they may stay in the hospital until their actual due date. it is very hard having a baby in the nicu. you r sister will need lots of support!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Sorry, my keyboard is screwed up! Hope you could understand it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My dad's youngest brothers had it. They didn't know until they were born. One was huge and able to go home. The other was only about 2 lbs and stayed in the hospital for a long time. They are both grown, normal, with families of their own. They didn't just give you an ultrasound when they were born.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 12:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My little sisters had it. They were born at 6 months and one of them could not walk on her own until she was almost 4. Other than that, they were both heathly kids and they are normal, smart adults with good jobs and beautiful families now!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010