Babies Encyclopedia: At what age is it appropriate to bring a newborn to public places?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 11:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as they have no health issues, then, from birth. No need to wrap baby in a bubble. As long as those directly around them are not sick with something contagious.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• When you feel it is right for you and baby. That is what we have done with each child. We took them out when we felt it was right for us and for baby.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Preferably not until 6 weeks of age for general public. For family, as long as no one is showing symptoms, from birth.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• In the winter it's best to wait until the baby is at least 3 months old if you're able to wait that long. I have been a single mother most of my adult life, and therefore have had no choice but to take my newborns out with me. Always throw a recieving blanket over the baby's carrier while the baby is in it to protect the baby from too much wind, and the elements. Newborns get colic rather easily.
    GenieBean

Answer by GenieBean at 11:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• From birth is fine, but you have to use common sense. If it is cold and flu season take precautions. Wear the baby in a sling and don;t let strangers near. Or put a light blanket over the carseat/stroller to keep curious people away.
    Life doesn't stop when you have a baby. Groceries still need to be bought, people still have events to attend. Be smart and protect your baby from germs and they should be fine. Also it is a good idea to carry hand sanitizer for yourself and others and use it often.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I took DD out in public right after she was born. We had no family, no friends in town, & no food in the house. We went to the grocery store.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think that as soon as the mom feels up for going out in public its fine. I would wait a month or two to put them in child care with other kids, however.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I waited months because my babies were sick at birth but I think for regular healthy babies I would still wait 6 weeks
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My preemie was born in November and didn't leave the hospital till early December. Her pedi cautioned us to keep her away from the general public for 6 weeks, epecially with the flu season going on. We limited family exposure and always made sure everyone washed hands before holding her.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's a judgement call on your part and if weather permits.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010