Babies Encyclopedia: How do I make sure my carpet is clean enough for my baby to crawl on?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 11:39 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For me I have hardwood so it means making sure it is vacuumed and moped regularly. I would have a harder time if it was carpet. It would involve a steamer and lots of vacuuming.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Vacuum it... Beyond that I never did anything special... Germs and Dirt are a good thing for a baby!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Just be sure to vaccum. I usually do it once a week or swiffer the hardwood floors as needed.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:44 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i clean my hard floors with vinegar and water.
    we use stanley steemer for carpet cleaning, they use less than 1% alcohol (to aid in drying) and the rest is just steam.
    i don't like to use harsh chemicals, and i agree with germs and dirt being good for a baby.
    before my babies are mobile, i put them on a blanket on the floor.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Same here---Vacuum it... Beyond that I never did anything special... Germs and Dirt are a good thing for a baby! I did rent a carpet cleaner once a month. I no longer have carpet anywhere in my house, only tile floors.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Just vacuum.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I just vacuum or sweep like normal. It seems like no matter how clean I try to keep my floor, baby is going to find something to put in her mouth! I just have to keep an eye on her.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I vacuum my carpet, I also steam clean my carpert often, no harsh chemicals of course, and put a blanket on my floor for my baby to play on.
    Resatrotter

Answer by Resatrotter at 12:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• First off there are no shoes allowed on the carpet. Second, I vacuum every day...shampoo every week. And last but certainly not least I havwe the stanley steamer guys come do a deep deep clean every month. I lay on my carpet more than the bed so clean isn't an option.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i would vacum alot if you know she is going to be crawling on the floor and make sure all lil pieces are off the floor and you could also shampoo the rug .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010