Babies Encyclopedia: When will my periods return to normal if I am breastfeeding?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 11:41 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it depends on how much milk is being produced. For one child, i started right when he started solids. For my twins I started the month after they weaned, so at 16 months.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It all depends on the woman and her hormones. Some only have a period once they stop nursing. Others start 6-10 weeks after birth.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It is different for everyone. Some will start right away, some in a few months and some will go months with out a period at all.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Hahaha, define normal. For me it was immediately following birth. As with everything we are all different. Some do not start their period until they are fully finished breastfeeding, so month and months (I have to admit jealousy). Others are in between. There is not right or wrong answer for this question.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Every woman is different. Mine did not start again until after I stopped breastfeeding each time.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Some start right away, some don't begin to cycle again until after weaning. Soo.. really, anything is "normal".
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Unfortunately, the only way for you to tell how this will happen for you is to go through it yourself. Because every woman is different and every pregnancy/child/post-pregnancy period varies, when a woman starts her period after birthing also varies. Though breastfeeding has been proven to help your uterus heal faster and has been known to hold off your period for months or even sometimes as long as you are breastfeeding, sometimes a breastfeeding mom will start her period the same time she would have if she were not breastfeeding. A friend of mine didn't have her first post-pregnancy period until after she stopped breastfeeding her son at one year, whereas I started mine 28 days after the first 6 week healing period.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• That varies from woman to woman. Some moms start their periods again within a couple of months after having the baby regardless of if they are breastfeeding or not. Other moms will not start their period again until after they wean their baby. That's why its a good idea to use birth control even if you haven't started your period again because you never know when you will start ovulating again (unless you don't care if you have babies 10 months apart, of course!)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It all depends on the woman and her hormones, every woman's body is different, your own personal experince will tell you when your body is ready to began your period again.
    Resatrotter

Answer by Resatrotter at 12:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Mine came back when I began feeding my kids baby food.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2010