How do you get chewing gum off of clothes

I washed a pack of gum in the washing machine and now the gum is all over the clothes. How can I get it off?

elainenjacksmom

Asked by elainenjacksmom at 10:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Home & Garden

• GooGone...they sell it in walgreens and walmart
    Ready2drop

Answer by Ready2drop at 10:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I know from experience that Peanut Butter gets gum out of hair, I haven't tried it on clothes though. Wait... Ice, rub it on the gum to harden it, then scrape with a spoon. (from Readers Digest Extraordinary Uses for ordinary things) I use this book almost every day. It Rocks. I hope this works for you, if not maybe someone else has a solution!
    Mrs.Chase

Answer by Mrs.Chase at 10:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Peanut butter and cold cream. Works just as good on clothes as it does on hair!
    sadfairytale

Answer by sadfairytale at 10:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I've done the freeze method myself...you can rub ice on the gum or you and freeze your clothing and pry the gum off with a butter knife. If you freeze your cloths put it in a plastic bag but don't let the gum touch the bag, or place it on a plastic bag, but make sure that is all the clothing is touching.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• If you don't want to stain the clothes with an oily residue, ice and scraping work the best,
    xanxan

Answer by xanxan at 10:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• by freezing it
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Put the cloths with gum on them in the freezer for a few hours or overnight and chip/scrape off the gum.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Thanks so much everyone!!!
    elainenjacksmom

Answer by elainenjacksmom at 8:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• ice works well. Rub it on the clothes and then scrape it off with a tweezer or finger nail. It should come right off. Believe me I've sat in gum plenty of times! haha.
    MeganJean62

Answer by MeganJean62 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• you can try to freeze it off or like someone said, goo gone always works for me!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2008