How long is your child allowed to watch TV/play video games a day?

Shannon706

Asked by Shannon706 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• my kids are 12 and 11, the limit is 2 hrs a day for each on weekends, one for week days
    lizinohio

Answer by lizinohio at 11:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We don't have a set limit on tv - we just turn it off when we think it's enough. But for video games - I have a 9 yr old and a 5 yr old, they aren't allowed to play during the week at all and each get one hour each weekend day.
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 11:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• However long it takes to get dinner ready.. I'm a single parent, and it keeps him from hanging all over me while Im trying to prep and cook. On the weekends we aren't home all that much, but he will watcha movie here and there when we are.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• TV's off when they get home from school, and most days it doesnt get turned on... I dont think they have watched any this week. Tonight we will because of Big Brother, then it goes off, so an hour today. As for video games, or computer, 30 minutes, and it has to be earned by doing chores and homework first.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• However long they want to. I don't limit screen time, never found a good reason to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• eh, my daughter is almost 3, and watches all the Nick Jr I can handle. I feel that it has helped her with her Spanish, counting, just about anything. Granted they're cartoon characters they're like her friends. I do spend lots of time though working w/her too. I don't let TV teach her. She's also into Princess movies/Pixar- so If I need to get stuff done, I turn it on if I can't stand some of those kiddie shows. :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Victoria is three and we let her watch Nick Jr. The television is on that station, pretty much all her waking hours. She may not sit and watch it all the time, but I can tell she is learning.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• no major restrictions, my children have to finish homework, and are involved in many activities, but other than those requiren=ments thy can watch TV!They also have to get a perfect score in school that day, and keep their rooms, and things neat! They earn their TV. Plus mygirls only watch Nick Jr. and Sprout! Educational TV! My son watches boy toons...LOL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't time it. Whatever feels right for that day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I let them watch as much as I feel is appropriate for that day. THey only watch NickJr or PBS.
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 3:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010