I am taking an antibiotic for a kidney infection, if I get a flu shot will the antibiotic counteract the shot?

haydensmom502

Asked by haydensmom502 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Health

• nope :) the Flu is a virus, therefore antibiotics are not effective on it.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• The antibiotic is not the issue . . . it's never a good idea to get a shot, any shot, when you are not at your 100% healthiest. If you choose to get a flu shot, make sure your kidney infection has cleared up completely before doing so.
    Anonymous

• very true anon :)

also, are you in the high risk category as far as getting the flu shot?
    Look into the ingredients in it! please! I have many friends who are doctors, and every single one of them says the shot is a waste of your $ and the fact that it will make you sick is not good. The flu shot MAYBE will protect you from 5 out of over 100 strains of the flu.

If you are a healthy person, I would suggest not getting it!

PS I'm sorry you have a kidney infection!!! those suck! 3 years ago I got a nice 3 day stay in the hospital for one!
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Thanks guys, I am a teacher, with an 18 month old... I get one every year, I don't usually have any reactions, and in my 6 years of teaching have only taken about 4 sick days where I was actually sick.

Asking a few of the nurses here at school, they too have said the antibiotic probably wouldn't effect the shot , but the fact that my body is compromised from the infection might make me have a stronger chance of getting sick from the shot too.

So, I will skip it until I am feeling better.
    haydensmom502

Answer by haydensmom502 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2008