Just a few questions...Ok, maybe more than a few...

Have any of ya'll banked your child's cord blood?
Did you use via-cord?
If not, what agency did you use?
How much did it cost?
What all did you have to do?
Did it hurt the baby any?
Did you do it for just one of your children or all of them?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• I did not bank my child's cord blood. I worked at a public bank (part of a federal research project into cord blood) and know how small the chance that I could use that blood actually is.

Does it hurt the child? No. The blood is taken out of the placenta and the part of the umbilical cord that is still attached to the placenta after the baby is born. The child doesn't even have to be in the room.

Be aware that the amount of cells collected can treat a person up to about 80 pounds. So you and your husband would probably not be able to use the cells if you needed a bone marrow transplant (the procedure that cord blood cells can be used for instead of bone marrow).

cont
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• we didn't bank, but I can answer one of your questions. It won't hurt the baby, it's part of the umbi cord that gets detached and disposed of. it has no effect on baby.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I didn't bank ny of my 3 childrens, but I do know that it's a perfectly safe (& more common now) procedure. In fact, they actually recommend it.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• If your baby goes on to develop a blood cancer that could be treated with a bone marrow transplant, she would not be able to use her own banked cells. There is a large risk that the problem that lead to the cancer developing is already in those cells. Researchers have found luekemia precursor cells in the blood from the heel prick normally done on infants in children who developed luekemia years later.

If you have additional children and have banked each child's blood, then if one child gets an illness that could be treated with a bone marrow transplant, there is a 1 in 4 chance that a siblings blood could be used instead.

My recomendation is to find a public bank near you. It's free and the blood is available for anyone (including you) who may need it. Is it possible that you will need it and you will find that someone else already used it? Yes. But the chance is small.
    kaycee14