Animal Cruelty! adult content

I cannot prove who did it and I am beyond mad. Someone shot my cat with a bb gun. It hit its back paw and he had to have surgery to remove it and clean the wound. This cat does not go out very often because he came to me as a stray with no claws, neutered, and I found out the cat is deaf. There were several big parties in the homes around me Monday. How do you deal with this? My cat will be fine; I had the money to pay the vet. It is beyond me how someone could shoot an animal, not for food/hunting, but a domestic animal!

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 12:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Poor Kitty Pictures, Images and Photos

Poor kitty! It happened to our neighbors cat too. He put out fliers all around the neighborhood and it did not happen again. He was really nice about it and he concern for his cat had people looking out for all the neighborhood cats. I think if he was confrontational it would have backfired. But he was generally concerned and nice about it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Out here cats are loose like wildfire and they destroy people's property and defacate in their gardens and childrens play areas. If it were around here, they may not have know the difference between your cat and someone elses. Obviously your cat was outside for it to happen. I worked for a few rescues and I always tell people, don't let your cat be a nuciance, you are putting him in danger. I wouldn't shoot a cat myself, but some people are old fashioned and feel it's their right if it's on their property.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm a cat lover, too. I have 2. But, they never go outside. Where I live, there are leash laws, even for cats. The police here wouldn't do anything if the cat was outside off the leash.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i think i would not say anything. i wouldn't want to give them any reason to do it again, or do worse.
    my dh would confront them.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm so sorry your cat was hurt... It's hard to say how to find who did it.. I would report it to the police in case there are other animals in the area that have been shot as well.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't know, but i would take the vet bill to the local PD and let them know what had happened. Its most likely some kids out there being an idiot. The PD shold be able to put it in the " Docket".. this way if it happens to someone else in your neighboor hood. , there will have been a report on it. Yes that was very cruel. I have a cat and I would just cry if that happened to me.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The police will just tell you to keep your animal contained.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• my cats R strictly indoor!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• o boy well look at it like this.... being deaf and having no claws makes him a sitting duck for any kind of predator so i'm glad that he wasn't killed and/or eaten. of course try to keep him inside (mine try to sneak out sometimes too.... they're bad when they want to be lol), but as for how to deal with the situation, i agree with either a flyer or talking to the neighbors nicely about what happened. don't do it in a confrontational manner .... do it to warn them about keeping a eye on their own pets so they won't be next. hope kitty gets well soon!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would gently go around and talk to all the neighbors, and let them know for the safety of THEIR animals what happened. It's likely no one will tell you who did it, but the person who did will hear about it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010