am I horrible

I baby sit a little one just a bit older than my baby. he screams bloody murder when he is tired. If I hold him and comfort him it takes over half an hour of screaming for him to sleep. If I leave him alone usually 20 minutes. the other day he was screaming making my boy cry I had a headache so I put him in his carrier in the bathroom and closed the door. I was in the next room so could hear him but it did deaden it a bit. after 10 minutes he was asleep. It seems that being alone makes him fall asleep better. I can't put him in the crib since my husband is trying to sleep in the next room. Is this horrible of me to put him in there alone while he cries. I can hear him and I check him every 10 minutes Oh yeah I only do this if feeding diapering and rocking doesn't help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you are fine...It's not like you put him in a car in the garage...he is still getting air. No worries...
    Anonymous

• Dont be so hard on yourself! Remember putting him in a room where you can get some space is safer than blowing your top and doing something really stupid. Another thing that might help, is turning on the bathroom fan! The little boy is probably crying because he missing his parents. So being alone is in a strange way better than being in an arm of another.
    rojareb84

Answer by rojareb84 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I used to feel so terrible, when my second son was born. He would cry and the only thing he wanted was to be left alone. I felt like I was favoring my first son because my second one was always laying in his crib. But that's what he wanted. He was usually happy being left alone in his crib or swing, even though I was dying to hold him and play with him. Now he's very social and loves to be snuggled. Kids all need different things. Did you talk to his mother about it? Does he do the same for her? Maybe you can ask her advice.
    MrsT6102

Answer by MrsT6102 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• No you aren't horrible at all. I put my son in his room all the time and let him cry thru his moments. When I can't comfort him he usually just wants some time to himself or is sleepy so he will calm down and play or go to sleep. You are doing what is best for that baby self soothing is important for babies
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 2:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• well, if your hubby wasnt in the other room, you'ld put him in his room alone.. i see no difference in the bathroom.. some babies do like the alone time.. i know if my son cries and someone is holding him who isnt getting the message to put him down, he will cry cry cry, until i say enough and put him in his carrier or on the floor and then he imeditately stops.. and you check on him, its not like you abandoned him.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Thanks I just felt so horrible. Here I am holding my son and hers is in the bathroom crying but now they are both aleeping peacefully
    Anonymous

• Have you talked to the mother about this and about how she'd like you to help him fall asleep?
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• ok how would you feel if that were your baby???? and some babysitter who you think is taking good care of him is shutting him in a bathroom, and talk about unhealthy!! a bathroom, honestly, if you cant put him in a bedroom cause of your hubby sleeping maybe you shouldnt be babysitting, im glad i dont have to leave my little one with anyone cause i fear this kind of treatment.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I would be extremely pissed if I found out anyone was letting my baby sit alone in a bathroom and cry. I don't think you are horrible, but if you can't handle watching 2 babies then you shouldn't be doing it. What would the mother say if you told her? If you think she'd be upset about it then you have your answer about whether or not what you are doing to her baby is ok.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Since it is not your baby I don't think that this is ok. I think that you need to talk to the mother about what she does to get him to sleep, and if that doesn't work then tell her that you can no longer sit for him. Because I would not be ok with my sitter doing this no matter what the conditions. When I was working I did yank my 2 girls out of a daycare because of something that I found out was going on.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008