what should I do?

how would you handle this?
My dd tells me no, make me when I tell her to do something. How should I discipline her each time she does it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• grab her arm and take her to what you want done. MAKE HER. She'll learn.
    Anonymous

• There needs to be a consequence when she talks to you like that. I know if I ever talked to my mother like that I'd be getting up off the floor.
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 2:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• when my ds starts that attitude I reply with "fine,don't do it, but find your own ride to practice/make your own dinner/do your own laundry..." usually he holds out for a bit then asks when we need to leave/whats for dinner...and I remind him he needs to deal with it himself and he does whatever it was I had requested.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Oh no!! When I ask or tell my son to do something he better not tell me no... I guess you have to handle things like this when they are young and set the standards that you wnat when they are a teenager.
    boismyson

Answer by boismyson at 4:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• What is it that you are trying to get her to do that she doesn't want to do? Once my kids got to a certain age I no longer gave them commands as if they were small children. I impressed upon them the need for their help in order for the household to run well. I let them know how important their contribution was and how much I appreciated their help. I listened when they didn't want to do chores and allowed them to swap with one of the other kids. I thought this would teach them how to live well with others when older (compromise) and also when in an employment situation. It worked for me. I was a single mom and really did need their help. I did have to give them reminders but all in all, they cut the defiant crap out.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree with goaliemom93...I've been on STRIKE before. It does wonders. They realize that what you asked them to do in the first place is no big deal in comparison to what YOU DO EVERYDAY. They can't live with out all the "stuff" we do for them so she'll give in. Stick to your guns though or it won't work. My one rule of thumb though is, I don't ask them to do anything that I myself wouldn't do. The exception...clean their room. That's NOT my job....lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree with most, no dinner, no laundry ect. but also no cell phone, no computer ect. I also would be getting up off the floor if I talked backed back to my mother. We knew without a doubt that mom loved us but we had respect( and fear) for her. She did a wonderful job raising five kids.
    jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Your daughter is challenging you. Their are consequences for actions. If your daughter does not do what is asked, then you will take privileges away. Don't feed into her drama TRUST me it will just get worse. When my daughters pulls this,  I take the phone, computer, away she is not allowed to go anywhere or have friends come over.  There have been times I have asked my daughter to unload the dishwasher and she refused.  So I had to unload the dishwasher, when my daughter wanted a privilege (computer, phone, friends over etc..) I flat out said NO.  When I head how unfair I am I just told her that she would have been enjoying her time if she listened. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 6:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Next time she wants you to do something for her, my reply would be "Make me." Then I would smile and go about my business. Give her a taste of her own medicine!
    lynaemarie

Answer by lynaemarie at 9:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2008