can use refrigerate or freeze breastmilk that has been freshly pumped but left out at room temp for 4-6 hours if not used at all

I often pump breastmilk when I go out in order to not get caught in tough situations and not able to feed but if I don't use these bottles can I refrigerate or freeze this milk since it has never been frozen or refrigerated before. I don't want to waste the liquid gold milk.

tswisshelm

Asked by tswisshelm at 12:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It can sit at room temp for 4-6 hours and then still be frozen or placed in the fridge.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• http://www.justmommies.com/articles/breast-milk-storage.shtml

Your milk can be left at room temp. for 4-8 hours before you freeze it. 10 hours if the temp is below 72 degrees. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• However, if you are talking about the bottle your baby has been drinking out of, you should not re use it after a few hours because of the bacteria from the babies mouth that is introduced into the bottle. I would try putting only the amount you KNOW your baby can drink in the bottle before a feeding and if he/she wants more, you can always add some more to the bottle. :) Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You sure can!!
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 12:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I love that you called it liquid gold :)
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 12:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• glad u asked this cos i will now know when my bun in the oven pops out :)
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 10:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2010