Why?

Why must the Book of God (the Bible) and the Book of Nature (psychology & biology books) be at opposing ends? Why can't they be integrated? Isn't the Book of God just explaining why we are here and how the world should whereas the Book Of Nature just explains how the world is? We do live in a fallen world so the world is not as it should be. Why does the Book of God trump the Book of Nature? Why can ambiguities and inconsistencies between the two be accepted rather than argued? We also have to remember that we cannot view the world directly through God's word because all we have are translations of God's words (because, I will admit, even the Dead Sea Scrolls are reprints and translations).

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Selective Reasoning.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well I am taking a class on integrating Christianity and Psychology. The book I am reading is very interesting and this point keeps popping up but the way he just worded it was very interesting so I thought I would paraphrase and see what answers I got.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• One points to Christ and one does not... thats why.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I see no reason... For me Religion & Science work hand in hand. I don't think that either are perfect as both are created by man. But I see no reason why they can't work together... If anything, I don't see how either work without the other.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Shaneagle - How does psychology not point to God?
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i'm assuming this question would be argued best by those with polar-opposite beliefs..as for me, i don't see why they can't go hand-n-hand. some things are inexplicable, and some things are. for my human mind to consume all or nothing, would be narrowing the field. i don't think God or nature/science can be that small.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The problem is the Bible is not the only collection of mythology there is. Many other cultures other than the Hebrews have their stories as well and some are even MUCH older- so what makes the Biblical ones the only ones that should be included along side nature and science?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i tend to see the two as different, not opposites, but ones science and the others religion. i try my hardest not to mix them cause that always causes issues. and honestly, ive never thought they were at odds seeing as i got my degree in psychology from a Christian university and never felt like one was interfering w/ the other...but then im pretty sure im the not the kinda person you're aiming this question at :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Because fact and fiction don't mix.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010