What are some ways to help a toddler fall asleep? I now have an almost 3 y.o. and she wants to be a night owl.

The child is not mine she is in my care till her parents can get their life together. It has been to long that I don't remember how we got our kids to go to bed. I am also not sure how long to assume it is an adjusting period vs. just being a toddler trying to test bounds. The 5 y.o. goes to bed good but the 3 yo is keeping everyone else up with crying.

Any tips would be great. I know it is always different but I am willing to try different things to help her get much needed sleep. I can't imagine 4-6 hours of sleep a day is enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our nightly routine was always a warm bath, a baby lotion back & leg massage, a story & then sleepy time music. If they didn't lay still and got to sleep, they knew the sleepy time music would get turned off. So, they stayed in bed so they music would stay on.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had that problem w/my daughter- I finally took naps away (unless she just fell asleep, then I woke her up after a hour). Sometimes that didn't even work, but it has helped a lot. It only takes her about a half hour to fall asleep.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughter has been "testing her bounds" lately and I have found it helps her to keep a cup of water next to her bed (mostly so she can't use "I'm thirsty" as an excuse to get out of bed over and over. lol) and sometimes letting her keep the door open help. It sounds to me like maybe in your case, the little girl misses mommy and daddy and her usual home environment. Is there a blanket or something you can give her that smells like home? Also sometimes just sitting in a chair in the room to let her know that you are not going to leave her will help, especially since her mom and dad aren't there. She may just be afraid that if she falls asleep, you will leave too? Sit the chair in her room and move it farther from her every night until eventually you are in the doorway, then outside the door, then in the other room. Hope any of this helps. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Dont let the 3 year old sleep past 3 pm so she will want to go to sleep around 9-10.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Try warm milk to get her drowsy before bed
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We turn off the TV an hour before bedtime. A warm bath and do quiet reading time with babies.
    mamiD4

Answer by mamiD4 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I agree with Kword. She probably misses her parents and is seeking comfort and stability. It's important to stick to a daily routine i.e. breakfast at certain hour, dinner, bath, bed,etc so things are consistent so that she's not so scared of being abandoned again.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 1:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i have two boys with autimsm, MAJOR sleep issues. drug stores sell something in the vitamin ailse called "melatonin", it calms them down enough so they can relax and fall asleep. start out with 2mg and lay her down about 20 minutes after disolving in juice.
    angeleus12

Answer by angeleus12 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010