Ambulance rip-off: Update

I've learned more...Attorneys won't take my case because there were no "damages". But, here's the gist of my case:
If it's NOT an emergency, then shouldn't the ambulance company at least give you a choice?
By the way, when I say "fine" I'm not joking -- everything was normal. Not only that, I could have driven him to the ER faster than the ambulance did AND I work in medicine! In fact, he's really embarrassed because of this whole thing.

WD40

Asked by WD40 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Money & Work

• I read your other question and sorry, but you're gonna have to pay the bill. You could have refused to put him in the ambulance. I've done it several times actually because I knew I'd get a bill from the ambulance company. You just have to sign a form saying you went against the doctor's advice.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You got in the ambulance of your own free will. Don't play stupid now, like you assume it was a courtesy ride. You owe the bill. Period.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 2:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree with the above post.
    boismyson

Answer by boismyson at 4:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You at any time had the opportunity to refuse medical transport. They don't OFFER this to you. You have to say, no I am fine and I will get there on my own. They then give you a paper to sign making them not liable.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 10:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Typically the emergency stops when the ambulance arrives onscene because they have the training and the equipment to manage the situation. Recently, most ambulances have been told not to use lights and sirens to transport to the hospital on most cases because of safety. You always have the right to refuse treatment and or transport as long as you are compent. However you will find most ambulances still bill, even if they don't transport.. Sometimes it is less than a transport or sometimes they just have a flat fee for all services.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 1:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2008