stripping their room

Has anyone taken things out of your childs room when they are defiant? I've heard this works but I'm afraid it might be too severe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Going to your room isn't punishment when it's full of cool stuff. Too severe would be beating them, not taking their privileges. :)

Trust me, in my teen years, all I wanted was to hide in my room. All my stuff was gone, that would have sucked.

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 2:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I have done it and no it's not cruel. I have taken all my kids things and boxed them up and they have to earn their things back. I will also throw their stuff away if they refuse to clean their room. They have 1 hour to get it clean and anything left on the floor gets thrown out.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I have not only taken out the cool things ( tv/video games/laptop...), I have shut off the power at the breaker box to my 15 yr old sons room! Talk about an attention getter. of course never when heat is needed, but any other time of the year, it works like a charm to get him to straighten up.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• God yes! I have stripped the room down to just clothes, bed, dresser and night stand. He chose the behavior that led up to his punishment and it worked miracles in my house. Of course he had to earn each item back.
    boismyson

Answer by boismyson at 4:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I wouldn't do it. I write for fun. Before the wonder of computers, I used to write things down in notebooks. I got suspended from school when I was about 17. My parents took everything out of my room and threw it away. This was trash day, by the way, so everything was gone before I could dig it out of the trash. Let me just say that, I never had anything like a t.v. or a computer in my room. I didn't even have a stereo, just an alarm clock. Everything they threw away was personal. I was devastated that my notebooks were trashed. Absolutely devastated. I had started writing something that I had hoped to get published one day. I had nothing to lose after that, so I became a living nightmare. Seriously. I did some really fucked up things to my parents. I also tried to light their car on fire in the middle of the night.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 8:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My mom did it to my little sister it worked to get her grades up!! :) I say GO FOR IT!!!!
    Leauna
    Leauna

Answer by Leauna at 12:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• The phrase, "It hurts me more than it hurts you" came from parents who have done something that is painful, but necessary. It is more important to bite the bullet and get the message across that you are not a doormat and you are to be respected. You have the authority and you are going to have to show it. Put the stuff you take somewhere she/he won't find it until you are ready to give it back. Learning to respect authority is important in later life and as a parent, you are the one to teach that lesson.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh I am so glad that I am not the only one that does it! My son has gotten lazy and defiant lately, so when he refused to clean his room, we stripped it bare! All he had was a bed, a sheet, a blanket and a pillow. We moved his closet upstairs, and he has to get permission to get into it.
    I am so glad that I am not the only one!
    jenniferoakes

Answer by jenniferoakes at 10:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We have yet to strip our son's room, however he has lost things. He is only 4 and we have taken toys and games and put them up in the closet where he can't get them, but where he may see them on occasion. He looses them for having attitude, refusing to do something he was asked or being disrespectful.
    If we ever get to the point of having to take things out of the kids rooms I think the biggest issue with that would be my husband. He is all about giving the kids stuff till they have no more room! But that's something totally different!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• OOHPFG
    That stinks that your parents threw your stuff in the garbage. And very unfair. If you are doing it to teach your child a lesson then you have to abide by what you want to teach them. You are not teaching them anything by showing them such disrespect.
    I think parents should respect their kids. That being said I don't think parents should be a door mat for their kids. Kids need to learn to respect their parents in the appropriate way. And the same for parents. Parent's are still the one's in charge and should not power trip.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2008