In religion what is the difference between convincing and converting?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 12:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• no idea but heres a bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• None ... you have to be convinced in order to choose to convert
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• There isn't one.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well, I would have to say none. If you honestly convince someone your path is right, they would most likely convert... However, there is a huge difference between accepting and converting... Which I think is closer to what you are meaning...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• As an atheist, I would probably be "convinced" of Yahweh/Allah/god's existence if he appeared one day on my doorstep. But I still would not be "converted" until he offered proof that he deserved even one iota of my attention.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• well, if one is convinced a religion is right i would think they will convert. however, converts arent always convinced a religion is right, sometimes they are just trying to save their life.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think there is a difference between convincing someone and converting them. For instance, there are people who believe there is more than one way. Even if they are convinced another way is valid, they're probably not going to convert, as they believe that there are multiple ways that are valid already.... And one can convince another of a point, but that doesn't mean that it means the other is going to convert to the religion merely from being convinced of one issue...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Convincing is something that the person who believes try to get the other to do. Converting is something that only the person listening to the believer can do. I can try and convince all that I talk with to believe in God, but I can not convert them.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 3:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Convincing is also letting the other person think they've won you over, telling them what they wanna hear, cuz they won't stop otherwise. This makes the "sermon" stop and they go away hopefully.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• there is not one it just sounds better.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010