4 month old wakes up every 2 hours at night to nurse. I'm really worn out...Help!

My 4 month old son Landon has been waking up every two hours to nurse at night. I am so tired and know that he can sleep longer because he has before. On a few occasions, he has been able to go for 6-7 hour stretches of solid sleep. But for the majority of nights, he wakes up frequently and I don't know what else to do because he seems really hungry. I'm getting really worn out and need to sleep better as I also have a 2-yr old to care for too.

Anyone have some advice for me in how to get him to sleep through? Thanks!

Curlysigngirl

Asked by Curlysigngirl at 2:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I co-slept with my son until he was about 5 months. When I put him into his.  He woke up all the time wanting to nurse. Now when we co-sleep he nurses all night but when he goes in his bed he sleeps. Try letting him self soothe and put himself back to sleep, maybe a passy, or formula. Your baby may not be getting enough to eat, possibly some solids before bed. Also a bedtime routine may help and some calming aroma therapy

ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 2:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• you may not want this, or your may.. but here is my two cents.. my son has been sleeping thru the night since he was between 4-5 weeks.. he gets a bath, and then a massage, then we give him his last feeding but its in the form of a bottle... you may not be producing enough milk to tide him over... we give patrick a 7 ounce bottle at about 7pm and he sleeps til about 6-7am... he knows that when he's in his crib that its bedtime.. or nap time.. all babies are different, and sadly they dont come with manuals letting us know what works for them to get them to sleep thru the night.. good luck..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Are you feeding him solids yet? My son has been sleeping through the night since he was 4 weeks old. When he was 4 months old he got a bath at 7:30pm, then I gave him a little bit of cereal, and then a bottle. He is 6 months now, and we follow the same routine. He sleeps at least 12 hours a night, but keep in mind all babies are different. My doctor said that the cereal keeps them full longer than formula or breastmilk.
    kwhite0609

Answer by kwhite0609 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I pumped durring the day and nursed my son then gave him and 8oz bottle right after bath and massage. My son has been sleeping through the night since 6 weeks.

Not all babies are the same, so it might not work for you.

At 4 months my ped. told me it was time to use cry it out if he wasn't sleeping 6-8 hours.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 3:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• can you pump your milk? than your husband can help at night. I was having the same problem, and started pumping so I could just sleep!!!
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I found the best way to get a good night sleep was to tuck baby in bed with me. Then he could nurse every two hours if he needed to and I still got a good night sleep. My boys are 17 months apart so I know what you mean about needing your rest. My husband would often wake up and ask me "how many times did he nurse during the night" and I would say "I don't know!" When he started sleeping for longer stretches (5-6 hours) then I moved him into the crib.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• How often does he eat throuhout the day? My 2.5 month old eats every 2 hours during the day, and she sleeps from about 9 till 6 in the morning. I think she sleeps that long b/c she eats so often during the day. Maybe you could try feeding him more during the day. Also, she sleeps with me too. I didn't want her to sleep with me, but now I couldn't imagine her not in the bed with me. I eventually want to get her out, but not yet b/c I'm not ready to go through sleepless nights. I'm still in school (I'll graduate in December), so I'm waiting until then to get her out of our bed.
    christenlrodrig

Answer by christenlrodrig at 5:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• GROWTH SPURT. This may be your answer. A very temporary, 2-3 week, period of time when your baby will change his eating and sleeping habits. Sometimes, this becomes a habit even when he is no longer going through the growth spurt.

If getting sleep is your primary goal, then keeping him in bed with you at night so he can nurse is a good solution for a while. He may not be ready for sleep training until about 6 months.

If sleeping with him is not an option, make sure he is eating his fill before he goes to sleep at night. You don't have to give him a bottle for that to happen. If he is so tired that he falls asleep before he has had his fill of breastmilk, then he will be hungry in the middle of the night. If you go to bed later than him, try getting him up a half hour before you are ready for bed to feed him one last time before you go to sleep.
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 6:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• it is important to teach good sleeping habits at a young age. While co-sleeping may be good for you and the baby now, its not recommended and it puts you in a tough spot to ween the baby when they have learned to sleep with you. Check out www.magicsleepsuit.com. this sleeper is designed to mimic being held or swaddled when the baby has grown out of swaddling. It helps sooth the baby and muffle the twitches that wake the baby. It was designed by a mom and pediatric pysical therapist.
    Anonymous