Do you think its strange if someone wants to celebrate a holiday from a different religion?

For example, Christians who celebrate Rosh Hashana or Passover...
or is it just being well-rounded?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 12:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not strange...AWESOME!!!

I made potato latkes and played with a Dredel last year during Hanukkah.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• we cahnge it up to teach the kids aboutall religions. some years we do hanukah(sp) instead of christmas. but we choose not to teach our children one religion, instead they learn about as many as we can teach about so they have the right to choose for themselves if any. plus its fun!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• not really, considering everyone is excpected to celebrate Christmas.... I'm pretty sure businesses aren't all closed down for Ramadan or Passover.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think it's a great learning experience to share the celebrations of others with different cultures. But outside of that, why would a person actually "celebrate" something that they do not believe in?
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 12:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• A lot of people accept different faiths into their lives even when they themselves only practice one. I don't see it as being well rounded, I just see it as being accepting to other beliefs.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• were going to teach our son about all faiths and let him experience how different holidays are celebrated.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No.. I love what Rosh Hoshana means... and besides Christians are grafted in. We should learn about the feasts and festivals. Last Sat we had someone who is well versed in the festivals share about Rosh Hoshana.. It was sooo interesting. I love the blowing of the Shofar and the fact that this is a SWEET NEW YEAR...
    It is a celebration of Father and King... Avinu Malkieno . One of the scriptures shared on this holiday is Numbers 6:24-26
    The LORD bless you, and keep you;
    The LORD make His face shine on you,
    And be gracious to you;
    The LORD lift up His countenance on you,
    And give you peace.'
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We are Catholic but we honor other holidays too. My sister in law and niece are Jewish so we help celebrate holidays by sending cards and learning about the significance & practice of Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Passover, etc., the foods used, etc. Also, we especially like celebrating Hannukah and while my son was growing up, we made potato latkes and lit candles and watched TV shows about this holiday. As an adult, and a Marine,he has become familiar with many other holidays and cultures.
    Marinefranksmom

Answer by Marinefranksmom at 1:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Personally, I think it's really cool so long as they know what the holiday really is and are celebrating it properly (an example of what I would consider "improper" would be if someone were to observe Dia De Los Muertos by attempting to hold a seance).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't think its strange. I personally would love to celebrate other holidays. I think it does have something to do with being well rounded, respecting the beliefs of others, although for me, I'm just fascinated with the different ways people relate to the Divine. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010