Is it bad to register for things that are only incidentally related to the baby?

For example, things like CDs, decorations, storage baskets, etc...
Also, would you register for things that you won't use until the baby is older (like 12mo. sizes , books, toys for older babies...)

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 12:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no its not bad to register for things like that .and yeah i would register for things in bigger sizes to
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think it's ok to register for anything you feel you could use with a new baby coming into the home. :) It's not like you are telling ppl they have to buy these things, it's more like a guideline of suggestions (which really helps when you just don't know what a couple needs/wants) Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We registered for a video camera and storage bins. We also registers for onsies in every size! Keep in mind when making your registry that *a lot* of people only use the registry as a guide line. Requesting multiple sizes is going to help you not get 3,000 newborn gowns and then have nothing for 6 months. 'Older baby' Toys I see no problem with either.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Register for whatever the hell you want! :) That's the fun part about it! :)
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 12:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think that's a great idea! You can only use so many sleepers & hooded towels. And thy grow so fast, so it's good to ask for larger sizes. You should try to have a diaper party too. When we had ours, we had enough diapers for 1 yr, wipes for 4 mos, & little swimmers for 2 summers!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I agree with everyone else.......when you do register it should be things that you will need with a new baby coming into your life, if that's storage bins then that's what you register for. It is a good idea to also register for older baby items.......every time I go to a baby shower I try to buy things that will work for when the baby is a little older.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 12:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• most people that don't have kids or don't really know much about babies, tend to get something they wouldn't be able to use until down teh road anyway. like baby toys, they don't really use that until about 4 or 5 months anyway, they really have no interest before that. and i got a whole crib set for my baby shower, along with a matching clothes basket, and curtain, i got a crib, bottles, toys, books, clothes, burp rags...lol i got alot. i didn't even register for alot of it, like the crib set, i wanted to, but i wasn't sure if that was appropriate. They knew what kind of crib set to get me because on the invitations i had it mentioned that his "theme" was "under the sea", no, not the little mermaid, lol, just some fish and stuff. his room was cute. too bad i didn't get pictures before we ended up having to move... :(
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• IMO, you should register for anything that you think we be beneficial. Those things are completely understandable and if it was me, I would register for them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You should register for anything relevant to the baby. I honestly recommend registering for things that you will need a little further down the road (not just right away). We registered for things that we would need throughout our son's first year and we really haven't had to buy anything for our son who is now 5 months old (obviously we have picked up a few things here and there that we wanted to get for him ie: toys, clothes, etc.).
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 2:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We definately registered for non "baby" things. It worked out well because it meant we had all the silly little things that we would have had to buy from people who aren't "baby people" and we got all the cutsie baby things from those people who are total "baby this, baby that" types...
    2Hopefull

Answer by 2Hopefull at 3:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010