Babies Encyclopedia: How many cloth diapers would I need for full time usage?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 12:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depending on how much laundry you wanted to do, i'd say about 4 dozen.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have about 30, which was perfect when my daughter was a newborn. Now that she is a year old we could probably be fine with somewhere around 18-24. That's with me washing every other day and I never feel pressed on wash day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had 18 and that was fine. I washed every other day. For newborns you will need to wash more often or have 24.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had 24 prefold diapers, 3 or 4 covers, and 5 or 6 Bum Genius diapers. I washed every other day at first, then every two days once she got older (I also had two gDiapers that I used while I was washing, drying, and stripping the diapers). I think that between 15 and 30 is the best range, depending on how frequently you want to wash them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Depends on what system you have. I have the GroVia system. We have 12 shells, 24 inserts and 8 boosters. With washing every two or three days, it's plenty. Now with a second baby as the twinkle in our eyes, it's going to have to be re-evaluated!
    2Hopefull

Answer by 2Hopefull at 3:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If you start after the 3 month mark you should need about 12-16 to do wash every other day and not worry about running out. If you start out with a newborn you will need more because thay go so much more.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It really depends on how often you are planning on washing them. Once a week is fairly normal, count the number of disposable diapers you are using and times that number by two, then add a few extra in case of accidents and such, and you have a rough amount of diapers you'll need! If you plan on doing laundry more than once a week, you will need less diapers!
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 10:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have two in diapers right now. I started with prefolds and had two dozen newborn and two dozen infant prefolds. I had about 6 covers at first. That was when I just had the one in diapers. I have two dozen toddler size prefolds and that was plenty for one child.

If using prefolds and covers, I would start with two dozen prefolds and around 6 covers. That gives you enough to wash about every other day (it did for me). Any longer and the ammonia seems to build up - in my experience.
    marywilliams

Answer by marywilliams at 12:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It varies by your washing schedule, among other things. (example: Does baby go to a sitters or day care while you are at work? Do they provide diapers during that period or are you required to bring extra diapers for them to have on hand?)

I'd say you should have a minimum of 12 and could have up to 40 depending on your lifestyle demands.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i would try to count how many times in one day you have to change your child. Start out one day with a paper and a pencil before the baby wakes up and then tally up the number of diapers the child uses in that one day from midnight to midnight a 24 hour period and then I would go and put double that amount of cloth diapers. The reason for that is is because you will be doing a lot of laundry and you always want extra diapers out and you never know when your child is going to get sick and have more poopy diapers than they had the day before.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2010