Babies Encyclopedia: How do I transition my baby to her crib?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 1:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started by laying her down when she was already asleep. Then, when she would wake up, I wouldn't grab her right away, just let her adjust a bit on her own, unless she was genuinely scared or upset. Now she prefers it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I actually started my daughter in a pack-n-play by our bed and slowly moved her to her own room. Then when I started putting her in her own crib I made sure I put the blankets that were in the pack -n-play in her crib so it was all the same. She did well. NOW she is three and climbs in bed with us all the time. Do you think it would be bad to put her back in the crib? Just kidding!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 2:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My DS went from Bassinet to crib at 3 months. That little guy slept like a rock! Much better in his own room. I think my DH & I kept him awake snoring at night! LOL! He Loves his crib!!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I started putting her in the crib when It came time to napt time, her crib is in our room. So I would just lay down in my bed and keep an eye on her. But I would let her cry it out it was hard and I will never co -sleep again lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I started putting her in her crib for naps, when she was around 3 months old. Once she got more and more used to it, i started putting her in it at night. Which was when she started sleeping through the night.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 4:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Just put her in the crib; it is that simple really! :) and as they get a litle older to be transitioned into a toddler bed get them all excited by it and read a couple of stories first and they'll be excited that they have a new big kid bed! :)
    Nancygray2

Answer by Nancygray2 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We've been blessed by great sleepers! I started putting them in their cribs from the start. During the days, I would use the crib for naps and at night we had the bassinet in our room. Once they started sleeping all night we started using the crib for nights as well. They seem to sleep better in their own "space". Once Caroline was too big for her crib (she would toss and turn which would cause her to hit the side rails and wake her up) we moved her to a twin bed with bed rails. She slept much better in an actual bed. She was right around 13 months. Samuel is 3 months and sleeping in his crib all night. I would just start using the crib more often during the day and then when that's successful, add nights.
    marywilliams

Answer by marywilliams at 12:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Try laying her down while she is already asleep. Also be sure it's not the discomfort of the mattress making the transition difficult. I know with my daughter we bought a Sealy stain protective mattress. Unfortunately it also prevented the air from escaping the mattress, so it ended up feeling like a cold air mattress, rather than the expensive stain protective mattress and our daughter refused to sleep in it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I started with introducing my daughter to the crib at naptime and then slowly over time I put her in there at night it took about a month to get her used to it.
    sierra_617

Answer by sierra_617 at 3:24 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think the best way is forget the transition. Throw out the crib and put the toddler bed in there. Let them nap on it first during the day and then put them back in it that night. They may want to sleep with you for a few nights because of the change, but keep on putting them back in their bed. After a few nights you may have just won the battle and not have two beds in their room for so long.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2010