Babies Encyclopedia: Is it really harmful to use "baby-talk" when speaking to my baby?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 1:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think its harmful to use baby talk but it is pretty silly :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think this depends on when you STOP using "baby talk". I have been known to use a tiny bit of "baby talk", but for the most part I try to speak to my children as individuals from day one. I have met people who use "baby talk" all the time and their children turn out fine, but then again I have also met people with 5 year olds who still speak this way because the parents did not know when to stop. I believe if you are going to speak to your baby in this manner it is your own decision, but that it should be stopped once the baby begins to grow and start trying to speak more on their own; such as 6 to 8+months. Personally I think it is a bad idea at all because children are learning to speak from inside the womb and they will be learning incorrectly if you do not speak to them appropriately.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think it's annoying, but I don't think it's harmful.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Momease is ok, but, always talking in babytalk is detrimental. Talking as an adult with them is helpful.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's demeaning. The little buggers are smarter than you think they are. They need solid sights and sounds and stimulation to develop. Also, baby babble is an actual language. The stuff we spit out is just nonsense.

It's best to speak to your child as you would a bright peer. That way, they are learning constantly.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't think it's harmful, just not helpful in them learning to talk.

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't necessarily think it is harmful..but it certainly doesn't help.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think it depends on how long you do this. If you are doing this when they are learning words and they are attempting to repeat what you say, it can be bad. They will not learn to say the words properly.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 2:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No, If it makes them laugh I think it's great! Nothing like a baby belly laugh.!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Babytalk (as in complete nonsense) does nothing to help your child's verbal development, but it is not explicitly "harmful." Motherese, which is the simplification of language that is usually delivered in a sing-song, cooing manner has been proven to be very beneficial. Studies show that when adults speaking slowly in a higher-pitched tone, babies tend to pay closer attention and, as a result, pick up more quickly on language patterns.

Don't worry too much about doing it "right," though. Just talk to and interact with your child as much as possible.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 3:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010