Fruitflies are driving me crazy! Anyone have tips on getting rid of them?

We were given this good luck plant that blooms in water. But within a few hours we had LOTS of fruitflies in the house. Threw out the plants but sprays have only done so much.

istealcookies

Asked by istealcookies at 1:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• One natural way is a bowl of cider vinegar and a drop or two of your dish soap...but I didn't have luck with that, as the fruitflies just went to the edge. I finally bought a fruitfly trap at a hardware store. It was a little plastic bulb the shape of an apple and you put a supposedly "natural" liquid in it and they can't get out....this worked extremely well for us. But it's also important to find where they are coming from, make sure you have no rotten potatoes or other produce, if it looks like they are coming from the drain pour vinegar down to help kill any larvae, I sometimes put baking soda on the drain and pour the vinegar on it, it foams up and helps clear things out as well.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think I remember hearing something like boiling a bit of sugar and water together to make a syrup and setting it out in a bowl on the counter, helps to draw the flies and catches them.
    melissa920

Answer by melissa920 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010