Why did God love Jacob and hate Esau

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Maybe God doesn't like hairy boys?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• HEEHEEHEE!! ^^
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Esau did not appreciate. Things have'nt changed much with children these days?
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

Answer by 2tinyhineys

really? I thought that he was done wrong by Jacob.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You have to read the story in whole. Esau SOLD his birthright to Jacob.. He did a destestable thing against the living God. What Jacob did was give him stew for the birthright... Esau then despised his birthright for food? He only had to say no but he wanted food more than his birthright which was God given, he lost his inheritance because of this thing. This is why God hated Esau... the word hate means to detest. I will post a passage from Romans 9.... why God did what He did...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I was thinking he preferred his stew and bargained away his inheritance.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• 10(X)And not only this, but there was (Y)Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac;

11for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that (Z)God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,
    Romans 9 NASB
    12it was said to her, "(AA)THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER."
    13Just as it is written, "(AB)JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED."
    14(AC)What shall we say then? (AD)There is no injustice with God, is there? (AE)May it never be!
    15For He says to Moses, "(AF)I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION."
    16So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who (AG)runs, but on (AH)God who has mercy.

I encourage you to read The Message version of this.. it explains this passage well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Honestly, I don't understand this story compeltely either. It seems Jacob did his own thing often, not really consulting God until he needed His help to make peace with Esau. But maybe that just shows God's love and grace to us. We don't have to be perfect and do things right to be used by Him. :)
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• God's favoritism is no surprise to me. It began with Cain and Able and it is still costing lives today. It has always seemed to be his purpose to CAUSE strife in the ranks of mankind. That's how he gets his entertainment. And that, after all, is all that we're really here to provide...entertainment.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yeah, that God loves those who use tricky, therefore just a bit smarter in the conniving scale. This makes me wonder if that God hates beans. Cain and Able....God hates the farmer. Jacob and Esau....God hates the hunter. Makes me wonder if these myths are nothing more than a reflection of a tribe going through economic changes instead of some divine hate.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010