old enough 4 baby cereal?

I wanna know is it ok to give my 6 week old baby baby a little cereal in her milk. I was told that would help her sleep thru the night or atleast most of it....So if any one has any good suggestions then please give them to me

toya1jolly

Asked by toya1jolly at 2:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I added cereal at 6 weeks, and if I hadn't, I probably would have died from exaustion by now. My daughter was HUNGRY, that simple. People have been adding cereal forever. My daughter is now 10 months old, and still gets a little cereal in her bottle at bedtime. Don't get carried away with the cereal, i would recommend like a half teaspoon in the bottle. I don't care what the World Health Organization has to say on this, I would like to know if any of the people who decided that are moms??
    SoonToBeMom1207

Answer by SoonToBeMom1207 at 3:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have my son a lil cereal in his bottle when he was about 6 weeks old. It actually helped him sleep at night. It all really depends if you feel comfortbale gving him cereal at that age.
    Lokah13

Answer by Lokah13 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• No you dont need to add cereal yet. Its way too early.

If you breastfeed, then just pump some milk and mix it with formula to make it thicker. if you already use formula, then just some more to it to make it thicker. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• babies stomachs arnt ready to handle it yet try to wait til he is 4 months
    Anonymous

• Ask your ped. It is a myth.

Cereal shouldn't be given until 4 months of age and then by a spoon.

Below is a link that will help you with your question.

Cereal is sometimes given in rare cases of extreme acid reflux to help keep formula down but but it can result in a stomach ache so it needs to be given with gas drops.

http://life.familyeducation.com/baby/sleep/42338.html

ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 3:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You should not be giving your baby cereal or any solids until she is at least 6 months old. This is what the World Health Organization, American Academy of Pediatrics, the US Department of Health and Human Services all say! Cereal in a bottle will not make your baby sleep better that is a myth. Google it. Check out this link on delaying solids:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• 6 months old is the time to add solids, not 6 weeks. Her tummy isn't ready for cereal yet. If you add it to the bottle, she could choke, and the effort to suck it down since it is thicker can create air/gas in her tummy. Digesting it could cause stomach discomfort as well.

At 6 weeks old, she doesn't need her food to sit around in her stomach longer so she can sleep through the night. It won't be too much longer before she'll do that naturally anyway. Even when she develops a schedule of sleeping through the night, she will start waking up again for a couple of weeks at a time because of a growth spurt. Just keep feeding her breastmilk or formula when she is hungry for now. Over-feeding her, could contribute to other problems later in life with dietary issues like overweight, diabetes; if her system isn't ready, don't rush it. There probably aren't very many shortcuts in parenting that are worth it.
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 5:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• No rice cereal... and for sure don't try to thinken breastmilk or forumla by adding extra formula... that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of!
    Anonymous

• No it will constipate him/her and he/she will end up screaming all night due to a belly ache anyway...Their digestive system is not realy for it at that age.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 3:00 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My daughter is 6 weeks old and I've also heard that adding cereal into a bottle would help her sleep longer at night. I added a little cereal in w her formula at night and i haven't noticed any difference except that she actually did sleep a lot longer than she did before. So..
    kyliesmommy0908

Answer by kyliesmommy0908 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2008