Will it include space for other faiths to pray?

AP) A proposed Islamic community center near ground zero will include separate prayer spaces for Muslims, Christians, Jews and people of other faiths, the imam behind plans for the facility wrote in an opinion piece published online Tuesday.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf wrote in The New York Times that the attention surrounding the plans for the $100 million community center just blocks from the site of the Sept. 11 attacks "reflects the degree to which people care about the very American values under debate: recognition of the rights of others, tolerance and freedom of worship."

I remember someone asking this....

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I just watched an interview with this man on CNN. He truly welcomes all faiths, he is a long-time known moderate, he has condemned the actions of the 911 hijackers, and travels to the middle east as a cultural bridge builder working for and with the US state dept. I appreciate his stance that he wouldn't have done this if he knew it would become an issue, but now he HAS to do it to prove to those extremists overseas that it can and will co-exist peacefully with the neighborhood and other religions and cultures. I was skeptical of the wisdom of this, but I have a different perspective after listening to him. He was calm, peaceful, and sincere; the opposite of many people who are screaming and threatening violence. I am a Christian, BTW
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• find it interesting how they pick and choose which parts of their Book they want to follow

Like Christians and the bible.  There are a lot of quotes in the bible that no sane person would follow in modern day society.  Why can you believe that is normal, but you have a hard time excepting the same of Muslims and the Koran.  That is a bit hypocritical.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Sounds like the faith group that is building on that site, blocks from GZ are taking GBs words to heart- "being the bigger person"; extending the olive branch. Will the response be positive or negative? What would Jesus and GB suggest?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Considering there is no shortage of synagogues or churches in Manhattan, I cannot fathom WHY a Christian or Jewish group would consider renting/using meeting room space for prayer or meetings?!

This "olive branch" is just plain laughable.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• A couple of empty rooms maybe
    ____________________
    lol what would make you happy here?! Other religious groups are not required to put in a Muslim prayer space in every building they build. The fact that they are donating space to other religions is pretty respectful of freedoms and encouraging tolerance. Now they have to decorate too?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I find it interesting how they pick and choose which parts of their Book they want to follow....
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• "It would be better if I addressed these issues once I returned home to America, and after I could confer with leaders of other faiths who have been deliberating with us over this project," he wrote. "My life's work has been focused on building bridges between religious groups and never has that been as important as it is now."

"I know there will be interest in our financing, and so we will clearly identify all of our financial backers," he wrote.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• A couple of empty rooms maybe
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• A couple of empty rooms maybe

and?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

Like Christians?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010