If you were never afraid of hell or death, do you think you would be religous?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 1:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Not neccesarily. I know lots of people who do not fear death because they believe in heaven and do not fear hell because they believe in their strong faith in God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm an Atheist and I'm afraid of death- not of they dying part or being 'judged' in the afterlife, but the thought that I will no longer be here to walk in the sunshine, laugh at corny jokes or sit quietly in the park and read a book. I love life and the very thought of not being able to live it is scary.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I've never been religious. I'm spiritual. There is a difference. I'm still a Christian but the "religious" parts come from man made doctrines. I'm not afraid of hell or death. Heck, Life scares me more than they do! So, no those two things are not deal breakers for me in the spiritual world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Fear of death or hell is not what led me to a relationship with Christ. So, yes, I think I would still have looked for that with no fear of death and hell.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Very good question...I never gave it thought. I agree with the comment that religion is man made doctrines. I consider myself spiritual in that God is a spirit and those who worship Him must be in the same manner, Spirit & Truth. So based on what I know about the true God, my answer would be no on both accounts. God bless!
    tilejul

Answer by tilejul at 1:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• are you saying to be religious, one must have a fear of hell or death?? there are lots of 'religious' ladies on CM (and IRL!) that claim religion, but do not profess a belief in hell. so my guess would be , yes. fear or no fear, i would still be drawn to a religious life.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't fear either and I'm atheist. However, fear of hell and death is only a small part of why some people believe as tehy do. They have just as many reasons for believing as atheists have for not believing so I'm not going to say fear of hell and death is the reason they believe as they do.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't believe in hell in order to be scared of it... I'm not afraid of what will happen after I die, and while I think its normal to be afraid to think about HOW one will die, I don't think that in itself is a reason for being religious, since that would be something people would worry about whether there were religion or not....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i dont believe in hell and im not afraid of what happens after i die, and yet i still believe in God. if someone's only/main reason for being religious is a fear of hell that isnt a very strong faith.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't believe in hell but I am not a fan of death. I am ok with it, remember, God wanted us to live eternally, so it is ingrained in me to want that.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010