When did your babies start feeding themselves?

My daughter is 8 months old now and she will hold a spoon and guide it into her mouth, but I cannot get her to go back to the bowl for another bite. She starts to get frustrated and then if I try to help her I think she thinks I am taking it away from her. As far as finger foods, she will grab them and then play with them. I don't think she has the dexterity to get them into her mouth. I make a big production of dipping the spoon into the bowl so maybe she will start making the connection and she will eat the finger foods if I feed them to her, but not on her own, so I don't think that is a dislike.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 10 months and does not know how to even use a soon. She just plays and bites it. But she has mastered finger foods. She wont even eat off of a spoon if I try to give her anything. She likes to feed herself. She started that at around hmm.. 6 1/2 months. Just recently has she mastered it though. She shoveles it in there now! lol
    JerseyMamaa

Answer by JerseyMamaa at 4:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• We are 11m and still not even trying (hez a brat) LOL He can finger food hinself but he wont eat with a spoon to save my life...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Use two spoons, One for her to hold and one for you to actually feed her. Let her use the spoon for that first bite and then continue to feed her with your spoon. My daughter is 5 now but that was the only way for me to get food into her willfull little mouth at that age.
    emsmom01

Answer by emsmom01 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2008