Is it worth working?

I am considering a part time job, right now I'm unsure of pay and hours but if I was to take a part time job but would have to pay a babysitter for my 3 yr old. How much money left out of my paycheck after paying a babysitter and gas is it worth working?

Do you work? How much do you have left out of your check after paying child care and gas?

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think that really depnds upon the variables such as you say the pay for the babysitter, the travel costs, the amount you will receive for the job and the taxes taken out of it upfront and any other expenses. You need to figure it all that way to see what you need to consider to make it work.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• how much will the babysitter charge? my dh and I both work fulltime and pay for afterschool care, and its fine, but when I worked pt and him fulltime, after we paid for childcare it was not worth it to work pt.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It is worth it for me because my children are in daycare and pre-k. Pre-k is free and I receive daycare assistance for my other two so I only pay $68 a week for both. I would say that if more than half of your check os going to childcare, don't bother. Why work to pay for childcare and gas only? You know?

Maybe you could check into childcare assitance.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• There are a few variables to consider. First, you need to figure out your approximate income from this PT job. Then subtract your cost of daycare, cost of gas for travel to/from work, etc.
    For me, it's absolutely worth going to work each day - I make $17 an hour and work at least 3 hours OT every week. Even with two kids in daycare, I am still grossing almost $500 a week.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It depends on how much you make, how far you are traveling to get there, how much babysitting costs, etc. But for me, yeah it is worth working. If it wasn't I wouldn't do it!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It depends ENTIRELY on your situation. There are online calculators to help you figure it out. For me, worth it and completely needed for me to work full time. Even when I was paying child care, it was only ten percent of my take home pay... and my take home pay was 50% of our total household income.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• This is why I equaled it out to work at home. If I went to work P/T outside the home my check would just go to gas, daycare, etc.. Working at home I get to be here with my kids and not have to worry about the expenses but still get to bring in an income. It all highly depends on individual areas and situations.

Good Luck!!

ChristinaAtHome

Answer by ChristinaAtHome at 3:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's not just how much you'll be making after expenses there are also other things to consider....

Some women work outside the home just because the enjoy it not because it brings in a great deal of money. So if you'd enjoy working outside the home maybe it would be worth it even if you were only making a few dollars an hour.

Also it gets your foot in the door. Which some women have a hard time doing after they've been SAHM's for years and years. Plus it sets you up to get a better position and/or a raise.

I personally don't work outside the home so I"m not saying you need to go for it even if you end up making 50 cents an hour after expenses. I'm just trying to say that you can get more than money out of it.

GOOD LUCK deciding :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Now is the time to establish your career; take the job and learn as much as you can!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I decided to work fom home. I want my life, my way. I finally found a company that has integrity and treat it's Reps well. I make money and have the time I want with my family. It was very resaonable fee to get started and I have doing this for more then a year now. I can't imagine going back to working for anyone else and not being there for my family.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 3:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010